Which compact?

Edit My Images
Yes
Well, guys, perhaps you can help me decide what to do here.... :)

For the time being I'm happy with the 10D and all the paraphernalia that goes with it, except that there's far too much to cart around everywhere. I also have a G2 which is just about small enough to put in a large pocket. I used to have a Fuji MX-1700 which I carried around all the time, but the 1.5MP max resolution was a bit restrictive so I sold it with the idea of getting something neat but newer.

Now I know that the 10D + 50mm lens isn't too bulky really, but I'd like something with a decent zoom range that is pocketable. One option is a G6, another is an Olympus C7070 when it comes out later this month. Or I could go for a modern equivalent of the MX-1700 and get a sub-compact, but which one?

The Ixus has mixed reviews, and although I'm a Canon fan it sounds as if there may be something better. One that seems widely praised is the Sony P150 which will shortly be replaced by the P200. I've never though of Sony as being a top-league camera manufacturer, but this one has a Zeiss lens and people seem to rave about it.

Ideally I'd like at least 5MP and a decent optical zoom. 35mm equivalent wide angle would be OK I suppose, although I'd prefer 28mm. Weatherproof would be good too, but not essential. I appreciate that the image quality would not be up to the 10D etc, but it should be as good as possible within the constraints of size.

Any ideas or suggestions? :roll:

I was just wondering what if anything you decided? I am sorry we couldn't offer any advice this time but I am aware of you knowledge so guess you have made an educated decision. ;)

Well, I'm waiting until the PMA show is over in case anything new and wonderful is announced. :)

I want something reasonably compact that I can carry around all the time. I know that the quality won't be quite as good as the 10D with a decent lens, but that's better than missing the shot altogether because I didn't have the 10D with me.

I had more-or-less decided on the Canon A95. My wife has an A75 which takes surprisingly good pics, and the A95 has the added bonus of 5MP and the flip-out and swivel screen which I really love on my old G2. (Great for overhead or low level shots!)

And then I went and spoiled it all yesterday... I went to a new product demonstration (a new type of sewer pipe, not a camera!) and it was snowing quite hard and generally unpleasant, so I left the DSLR kit in the car and shoved the G2 in a waterproof pocket. The pics I took at the demo are fine - certainly good enough for publication - and I've renewed my love affair with the G-series!

So I'll get a G6. Not as small and light as an A95, but almost up to DSLR standards and without the CA problems you tend to get on the cheaper compacts. It also means that my 550EX, BP-511 batteries and CF cards will be useable on either the G6 or the 10D.

But I'll wait a few days, or Canon are bound to announce a G7 or G8!

I’ll have to admit that if there is one thing I miss on the DSLR it is the versatility of the flip out screen that comes on the G series. I shot with a G3 for quite a while and it returned excellent results, shooting at low level and not getting dirty and wet knees, over the heads of crowds and still being able to frame the subject perfectly, there is a lot to be said for the benefits of the flip out screen.

The added bonus of being able to utilise the accessories from the 10D (flash, cards and batteries) is a great thing that I would never have thought about but will you be able to cope with the size? Its not exactly a compact, pocket size camera like the Ixus range.

The size is the only drawback, especially since I'm wanting it as an alternative to the (sizeable) DSLR! I wish there was something a little smaller that offered the same quality as the G6, but I haven't found anything. The Ixus 500 is tiny but flawed - too much CA, poor flash and allegedly rather fragile. The Sony P-150 (now to be replaced by the P-200) is very neat, but again not up to G6 quality. I've spent days reading reviews, and always come back to the A95 and the G6. The Oly C-7070 is a possibility, although it isn't yet out, but there's no size advantage over the G6.

I often put the G2 in a bubble-wrap bag rather than a fancy padded case, and it will then fit in my coat pocket. Even in a proper case it is a tenth of the weight (and size) of the 10D kit, so it satisfies most criteria. I've become used to the quality of the 10D, and I suspect that anything less than the G6 is likely to disappoint. And I really love the flip-out screen! :D

Well your logic and reasoning make perfect sense to me. You seem to have devoted quite a lot of time to research this thoroughly. It’s just a waiting game now to see if Canon does replace the current G6 then to battle with a new problem of buying a discounted G6 or paying and getting the new model ;)

Life is never simple is it? :D

No, never simple! The G6 hasn't been out all that long - it arrived towards the end of last year - so I would be surprised if there was a replacement before the Autumn - but you never know!

There are a few firms selling it for just over the £400 mark. 7dayshop is cheaper, but I'll pass on that I think. And then, do I get the W/A adapter? Mmm. No, wait, the idea was to cut down on size and weight, remember? :D

Back