Which DLSR?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
prepared to pay up to £600 for a body

specifically I need it to be able to use with flash's for studio photography

so either a suitable cable port for lights or a radio type trigger.

any personal recommendations welcome - been surfing looking at the Canon and Nikon kit.... but just not sure!

You might be lucky enough to drop on a second hand Canon 5d for £600 on ebay.

Certainly a used 30d £300, and a bit of spare for any transmitters etc you'd need to add on.

You could buy a new Fuji S5 Pro body for your budget, takes Nikon lenses.

You really need to handle all the manufacturers options - find a local shop thats willing to let you have a look and feel of the numerous models from SOny, Pentax, Nikon , Canon etc. They aren't dissimilar but some buttons and menu structures are better laid out in some models than others.

Don't forget you'll generally need good glass on a EOS 5d full frame camera, so be honest about your budget and any other kit you already have available.

s5 is pretty popular with portrait and wedding photographers because of the better dynamic range and is at a fairly decent price of about 500 at the moment

All have hotshoes for a radio or IR trigger. Canon 30D & 40D certainly have a PC Sync port.

If its soley for studio work then how about the Sigma or Fuji dSLRs - they're supposed to be very good for skin tones and IIRC use the Nikon lens mount (certainly the Fuji does at it uses a Nikon chassis)

Fuji S5 Pro is a steal at the minute, makes a cracking studio portrait camera and is compatible with Nikon's CLS wireless flash system. Sorted.

Only take a personal reccomendation so far, after all it is Personal.

Go handle the variety of bodies and see which feels best for you.

Anything other than the very low end will have a PC socket, which will interface with studio flash units. Mind you, you can get a hot-shoe to PC socket adapter which will work with any camera with a hot-shoe (which is any modern DSLR, but you might have difficulty with Sony/Minolta - something like this will do you.)

Don't pick a camera based on this - in other words. Get the best body your budget can afford, and a decent set of primes and you're sorted.

I'm gonna go for the Canon EOS 450D, with the £50 cash back offer at the moment - I can get it for £369. Deal or no deal? Thoughts?

it's a good camera, but if you have a bigger budget, go for a 40d with a battery grip.

It's just that bit better ;)

if you're using studio photography, i'd recommend getting a battery grip whatever camera you go for.

I'm gonna go for the Canon EOS 450D, with the £50 cash back offer at the moment - I can get it for £369. Deal or no deal? Thoughts?

If its best for you go for it.

You have played with one haven't you?

Back