Which enlarger and 80mm lens?

Edit My Images
Yes
Well after a bit of consideration I'm thinking of setting up a home b&w darkroom. Any ideas which is a good brand of enlarger and lens to be looking at? I will mostly be shooting 6x6 120 film. Obviously i will be looking at purchasing second hand as i know that there are bargains to be had.

I'm liking the look of the LPL's.

You have to be careful that you get everything you need to print 6x6.
There are all sorts of extras that didn't come with enlargers capable of printing 6x6 but bought with 35mm in mind.
Lenses
Sometimes you need an M/F mixing box if its a diffuser enlarger.
Sometimes you need a set of M/F condensors for condenser enlargers.
Sometimes there isn't a film mount for 6x6.
It's a good idea to pick a brand that has plenty of parts available for it.
You also need to decide the max size you want to print to....
Do your research and know what you want before jumping in...:)

Some good points by Joxers there. Having used both diffuser and condenser enlargers in the past I'd opt for condensers every time - more even spread of light and brighter image on the baseboard.

Some good points by Joxers there. Having used both diffuser and condenser enlargers in the past I'd opt for condensers every time - more even spread of light and brighter image on the baseboard.

Only downfall is they can show up scratches and dust marks on negs :(

If you're only going up to medium format my favourite enlargers are the DeVere's and the 203 would do you. If you want to do LF then I think you'll need the 503. They come up cheaply on ebay because they're mostly collect only but you could speak to the seller about boxing it up and use parcels2go to collect and deliver for a very reasonable price.

I've got a Durst which I'm still getting used to but I need a new lens as the one I bought has a ridiculously stiff aperture ring. If you buy a Durst then watch out as there are different board for mounting lenses for 35mm and 6x6. The other things is I don't think it's as sharp as the DeVere in college which could be down to the lens or it could be down to the diffuser head in the Durst.

Okay I'm going to call Nova Darkroom Supplies in Warwick tomorrow and see what they have. I'm only going to be doing black & white so is it better to get just a b&w enlarger or a colour if that is offered to me?

I'm only going to be doing black & white so is it better to get just a b&w enlarger or a colour if that is offered to me?

Get a colour head as you can use the yellow and magenta dials to adjust contrast when using multigrade paper.

Hi Deano i use a LPL 6700 for both 35mm and 120 black and white

I have one of those too. Works fine up to 6x7cm. I want to go up to 5x4" though and that's where it starts to get expensive!

Steve.

Back