Which fixed focal length wide angle lens for a Canon 400D to go for?

Edit My Images
No
Please can anyone recommend a fixed focal length wide angle lens for a Canon 400D? I would want it to be as wide angle as possible without being fish eye, and would want to spend less than £1,000. Also, is there anything else important to bear in mind when choosing a wide angle lens?

Thanks!

look here and read the reviews.
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

I had been looking for a prime wide angle but ended up getting the 17-55 USm IS F2.8, its an awsome lens but i have not had chance to do any lanscape shots yet.

Like you I do not like the idea of distortions and fisheye is right out of the question.

The widest prime you can get is a 14mm f/2.8 from either Canon, Sigma, or Tamron. Though the Canon is an L and costs around £1,200, the others around half that.

No experience of them but the Sigma is supposed to be decent, a bit soft in the corners (which will should not show on a 400D with the smaller sensor), good control of distortion, but can be prone to flare due to a big convex front element.

I would do a search on that and see what owners have to say about it.

Michael.

Paul - Canon are releasing an EF14mm f/2.8 L mkII with the new EOS 1Ds MKIII. Although upwards of £1500, this will bring the street price of the mkI down significantly. Also, have a look at MPB Photographic if you're ok with second hand.

the only problem with the mkI is very very slight softness at the extreme edge - which will not affect you

Back