Which Flash? D40

Name
Michaela.
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently purchased a nikon D40 and have been looking at external flashes. What is the benefit of a external flash over the on board flash?

What can I pick up for under £50?

Thanks.

I have recently purchased a nikon D40 and have been looking at external flashes. What is the benefit of a external flash over the on board flash?

What can I pick up for under £50?

Thanks.

Jessops have some dedicated Nikon flash guns, theres one with ttl metering for about £35. HERE

As with everything you get what you pay for, but to answer your question the benefits include added range and power to the flash and depending on the model the ability to bounce the light by changing the angle of the flash head.

If the gun can be sync'd you can also use it completely remotely controlled by the onboard flash for more creative lighting options, lightboxes etc.

HTH

Save up and buy the Nikon SB600, it's fantastic.

Even the SB400 is far better than any Jessops flashes.

Save up and buy the Nikon SB600, it's fantastic.

Even the SB400 is far better than any Jessops flashes.

The SB 600 is a fantastic unit but at nearly 4x (SB600) or 2x (SB400) the budget that the OP has I would expect it to be.

Idealy one of these units could be sourced second hand, failing that however I've used a Jessops model for years with 35mm, it's always done everything required.

Horses for courses I guess.:)

I have and recommend the SB600 but the price of flashguns is a joke, I dont remember them being so pricey in my film days.......Other than the Jesops the independant guns are daft prices, might as well get the real thing. There is a big gap in the market for value flashguns IMHO...

For £50 a secondhand SB-400 is probably the way to go - try placing a wanted advert in the TP Photo Shopping section...

I so nearly bought the Nissin and may still do. There is little in depth info about this flash on the web, it wont work wirelessly on the Nikon CLS but the D40/60 don't support that anyway.

If someone could publish a review with some iTTL monitored shots bounced and direct, and maybe some fill in flash shots, sales of this gun would soar!!!!

SB600 is a good choice, although it's 3 times your budget!

My friend has one of those Jessops branded flashes and he says its quite good, or 'does the job' he said..Could be worth a try

Thanks for the advice guys. I really cant go over my budget so will have to have a think about it. Would buying one of the jessops flashes be beneficial over using the on board flash or should I just stick with the on board flash and save a bit?

Back