which Gimbal to buy ?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking of one of these to supplement my Canon R6 camera when videoing my friends band in local pubs and clubs.

I'm looking for something which is not too heavy or complicated to use and does not cause jitter in videos.

There seems to be quite a lot of them researching online, including Ronin, Zhiyun and many more.

Whilst reading I also noted that some even used it for wildlife photography with long zoom lenses, as I take a lot of bird photos also I seek any advice for this application.

Budget maximum appx £300

So feedback on anything to do with Gimbals and in particular my aims would be great

Something from DJI depending on your biggest lens size would be best. If you have EF mount decent glass you will need to go all the way to rs3 pro

Wildlife uses very different gimbals. Just like a word wheel can mean a lot of different things.
Good video head may be a good starting point actually

I too have been looking a gimbals. What I came across is if your walking along and the camera on a gimbal they can't eliminate and up/down walking movement . This is why so much emphisis is on how you walk. jerky steps= jerky up/down video. I don't know the answer, some say walk like a ninja, others say walk upright, some say hold close to chest while others say let you arm outstretched absorb some of the walking action.
for the purpose you are thinking about ,Club bands, maybe a tripod with wheels is possibly the better option ? , then of course one has to think about how long each video clip is which might make a difference. Also moving from one spot to another may make a huge difference with lighting in the club senerio
Don't forget about sound which is another subject altogether stereo on directional?

Zooming in and out can even be a problem using a camera for video work that is if you have the right lens on in the first place. This is why I recomment using a camcorder designed fore the job, but that is just my thoughts after about 12 years of making home videos for myself

If doing the club thing what about checking out the space you need beforehand and getting club owners permission, they may not be insured to cover video work. Also getting yourself third party insurance incase someone gets injured by hitting your camera

The difference of just taking a photo and making a video is huge and a large learning curve but very rewarding in the end. A lot of videos on youtube are taking from a fixed position,very few are ones where the person is actually walking along

Just one other issue as to why I don't use my Nikon D810 for video work is because changing from taking stills may well require setting change, so the shutter speed is double theframe rate not how one leaves it for stills.

As I said there is a lot of things not considered using for a camera for video work. Though experience I found the best option is to get a camcorder which eliminates a lot of the issues i raised

smooth video zoom in and back using a camcorder

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-63EXbCOw4

Last edited:
I have a benro GH2 that I’ve hardly used. It’s for wildlife lenses.
In excellent condition except for a scratch when caught on the zip getting out of my bag.

Look up the details and if you are interested I can put it in the for sale section.

for the purpose you are thinking about ,Club bands, maybe a tripod with wheels is possibly the better option
I would like to see you try that particularly outdoors. Don't forget to lay your own tracks and hire the full production crew to assist. If you shoot for netflix then why not

I'm a big fan of gimbals and used a Zhiyun gimbal for my action cameras and DJI Osmo gimbals for my mobile phones so I bought a DJI Ronin-SC when it came out (a smaller version of their Ronin gimbal). However it was a waste of money and I rarely use it mainly for the reasons you mentioned, it's bulky and complicated to set up as it needs balanced each time you use it whereas the smaller gimbals can be powered up and used straight away without anything else needed. It's not criticism of the gimbal itself and just the way it is with the size of the mirrorless cameras and there's people you can great results from it but after missing another shot because I couldn't get the balancing just right or it started jittering after I thought I had it set up correctly I gave up on it.

I would like to see you try that particularly outdoors. Don't forget to lay your own tracks and hire the full production crew to assist. If you shoot for netflix then why not
I specifically mentioned club, what you just posted makes me wonder sometimes why you bother . Trying to be smart and clever doesn't always work, infact the complete opposite is often the case.

Thanks people for these responses, given me a start point for what I am seeking

The other evening I saw a chap using a Zhiyun (??) by hand in the local pub, I see JohnMcL7 referred to having one of these - but I need to look up some reviews as to how it operates best - I didnt notice if it had a tripod connection or not

My proposed lenses are what I use now - Canon RF100-500 for wildlife etc and the Canon RF24-250 for the indoor stuff

Something from DJI depending on your biggest lens size would be best. If you have EF mount decent glass you will need to go all the way to rs3 pro

Wildlife uses very different gimbals. Just like a word wheel can mean a lot of different things.
Good video head may be a good starting point actually
Love my DJI camera, great quality throughout.

Canon RF24-250 for the indoor stuff
that won't fly. You need f/1.4 primes indoors, Even if you can just get away with 2.8 zoom it is not nice on some many levels. Forget about f/6.3 unless you bring in a truck of lights

Back