Which lens for a portrait

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to try and get some good pictures of my granddaughter who is one year old and I can't decide which would be the better lens of these two. Portrait work is not my thing photographically wise

Nikon 50mm f1.4G or the Tamron 90mm macro lens, any tips gratifully received

Realspeed

You'll most likely be taking most photos indoors so the 90mm will probs be too long for your needs.

The 50mm 1.4 is a great lens but don't overlook the 1.8 which is still very good optically and a good amount cheaper.

I have the 35 1.8 to get a little more in the photos indoors, sometimes you can't get back far enough because of walls, even with a 50mm.

Dan thanks for the reply the lenses I mentioned are the ones I have already so its either one or the other. So you suggest I use the Nikon 50mm f1.4 to get the best results. I had a try with my 24-70mm lens this evening as it was already on the camera, but I know I can do better with a "prime " lens.

Thanks again

Realspeed

I used to have the Tamron and found the focusing slow, I've heard so much about the Nikon 24-70 that I doubt the Nikon would be better even as a prime but It will get you lower than 2.8. I have the Sigma version of the 50mm 1.4 but only for a short while and it's hard not to use it wide open but the DOF is very small so it pays to take multiple shots to make sure you get the eyes.

Thanks foggy (colt) for your comments much appreciated and taking on board what you have said. I think one of the difficulties I will have is getting shots of an active infant. Still it will be a different challange to what I normally take. Luckily I have 2/3 weeks to get it right as they are staying with me.

I do have the battery grip and the extra enel4a battery for it to be able to shoot at 8 fps so after 3/4000shots I should get at least one good one (just kidding)

This is one of my first attemps at portrait work taken this evening in my lounge(24-70mm lens). Ok its far from perfect I know but its made me think more of what I need consider for this kind of work, and it don't look easy. Yes its not level (could level it but shown as taken) - the colours arn't spot on and the finger is out of focus- cluttered background etc etc, but its is really a first attempt.

Realspeed

Last edited:
I agree that the 50 1.4 would be a better choice, I'll be interested to see what shots you get from that compared to your 24-70. Besides the points you mention it's a thinner DOF that I'd be turning towards to help declutter the background a little which at the moment is distracting. Be sure to update us and good luck! :)

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, that photo was just in reality a snapshot type photo without any thought behind it. Your not the only one who would be interested in photos from the 50mm lens, I will be as well.

Realspeed

Focussing on the Tamron I thought was slow, and also the 50mm will give you 1.4 rather than 2.8

depends if you are using a crop or full frame

85mm on a full frame is pretty perfect for a portrait. I use a 50mm for full length window shot on a full frame. 50mm on a crop feels like the 85mm on a full frame yada yada

Richard I only have a Nikon D300

Realspeed

Dont put the camera down, its what you do with it that count.. It is a superb camera, a much better camera than almost every other camera widely available 3-4 years ago, and it takes a cracking portrait with a 50mm lens on it

Ok second attempt, this time with the 50mm lens

Any thoughts on the photo most wecome

Realspeed

Last edited:
you are getting there

You really could do with some fill lighting (via a reflector or flash)

its hard enough with her running around outside, without even attempting reflectors ,which I don't have anyway. This was taken as she was heading towards me at some speed.

Realspeed

its hard enough with her running around outside, without even attempting reflectors ,which I don't have anyway. This was taken as she was heading towards me at some speed.

Realspeed

then keep a flash on camera and bounce it

Your image is a little underexposed. Some extra light will just help it pop. I did a little edit to show how you can improve the image with some processing but I'l only put it up if you accept me too.

The question was 'Which lens for a portrait'? As far as I'm concerned it is anything from about 35mm to 150mm. It depends on where you are and what type of portrait. Indoors 35mm on cropped is great, outdoor it depends on what they are doing and how close you want to be. Sometimes it's nice to be far away and catch a candid shot and some times it is nice to be closer. My favourite is my Sigma 70mm f2.8, but that is no good indoors unless I buy a bigger house. So indoors I use my Sigma 24-60mm f2.8, great lens colour and contrast are spot on.

this is my edit:

a1800x600_edit.jpg

first did a curves edit on whole image plus some brightness added.

then selective exposure increase on skin to really brighten it up.

then another layer cutting out the eyes, high pass sharpen and then blending it in overlay mode.

finally a duplicate layer with soft light blend.

thats all beyond me but it does look better apart from the top of the bonnet not so pronounced against the background. Also she is a little darker skinned as her mother is Brazilian.

Realspeed

Last edited:
It doesn't look like she is running to you which is a shame, if it's a moving/playing type of shot I would like to see all of her so maybe the 24-70 is more suitable. The 50 might be better to catch her stationary while she's not so aware of you if you are going for a close up on those eyes.

Last edited:

Realspeed

That's part of the skill - before shooting, take a step back, figure out where the existing light is, and get your self in the right place. It's all about timing

Best portrait lens is the nikon 18-200 zoom, although if you have a full frame camera it would be no good

Back