Which Lens for Motion/Sports?

Edit My Images
Yes
Nikon D80; for motorsport and what with Fontwell and Goodwood racecourses next door, I'm going to try out horseracing. (y)

So far the best bet seems to be the Nikkor 80-200mm non-VR.

No particular budget but I've found the above for only £500, new and in the UK. :)

Any other suggestions?

Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM (not the macro version). I sold mine for £450

80-200 Nikkor is also a good choice but I would personally take the Sigma out of the two

depends on your budget, but if its lower, go for a better sigma, than a less good Nikon... otherwsie REALLY splash out and grab the Nikon 70-200 VR! :naughty:

One thing I can say, horse racing is MUCH easier to shoot than motor racing [done both], I some really good stuff with a bog std sigma 70-300, non APO, non anything in fact. The down side seems to be that access round the course is often limited, particularly at smaller, mid week meets, where they just cant justify the security, so its worth checking how close you wil be able to get. ;)

Well, like I said, I can get a new Nikkor 80-200mm for £500. Are you saying the Sigma because of the normal Nikkor RRP? I assumed the non-VR is the only difference from the VR lens.

Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM (not the macro version). I sold mine for £450

I'd vote for this too, absolutely cracking lens.

Another vote for the Sigma(y)

Wishing you hadn't sold it now dod?:LOL:

Wishing you hadn't sold it now dod?:LOL:

In some ways I am, definitely sharper than the canon I've got. I'd almost say it focussed quicker as well :boxer:

Well, I can't find a new Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, anywhere. eBay UK HK based sellers do it for the same price as the Nikkor; that's about it.

I have the Nikkor 80-200mm and it's one of the sharpest lenses Nikon made. It's also very fast to focus in spite of not being an AF-S - at £500 I wouldn't hesitate. However I expect the Sigma would be ok too.

Your camera may be a limiting factor with a non AF-S lens - not sure how fast the D80 is - I use D200s and the 80-200mm is brilliant with them.

I have the Nikkor 80-200mm and it's one of the sharpest lenses Nikon made. It's also very fast to focus in spite of not being an AF-S - at £500 I wouldn't hesitate. However I expect the Sigma would be ok too.

Your camera may be a limiting factor with a non AF-S lens - not sure how fast the D80 is - I use D200s and the 80-200mm is brilliant with them.

Both my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 and 18-200mm VR lenses focus very quickly and much quicker than the Sigma 70-300 APO I had before.

Ross, what else can you tell me about your Sigma?

What sort of Motorsport? 200mm is too short for many circuit racing venues.

Sigma 100-300 f4 is good. I expect you can get it in Nikon flavour.

General open days such as at Goodwood and at the Nordschleife.

I've never struggled with my 18-200mm for distance.

Ross knows this corner. (y)

18-200mm (VR off)
80mm
f/5.3
1/200
ISO-200
0 step

calenderentry.jpg

Forget new and get a Nikon 80-200 AFS second hand. Sharpest lens I own, and fast as you like to lock on. I think you might struggle with a non-AFS lens with motorsport. OK most of the time it'll be ok but the D80 focus motor isn't the fastest.

Forget new and get a Nikon 80-200 AFS second hand. Sharpest lens I own, and fast as you like to lock on. I think you might struggle with a non-AFS lens with motorsport. OK most of the time it'll be ok but the D80 focus motor isn't the fastest.

The only place I've found a second hand one is at Grays of Westminster for £775.

Goodwood and the Nordschleife may be exceptions. Silverstone, Rockingham, Snetterton all require 200+ lenses as a sensible minimum or a lot of cropping.
Sometimes I think my 300mm with x1.4 t/c isn't long enough (on a x 1.6 crop body)

Both my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 and 18-200mm VR lenses focus very quickly and much quicker than the Sigma 70-300 APO I had before.

Ross, what else can you tell me about your Sigma?

It's an HSM lens so it's very fast to focus and virtually silent. The quality is superb, build quality very good.

Not much else to report as I sold mine 18 months ago after I bought my Nikkor 70-200 VR

Ross knows this corner. (y)

calenderentry.jpg

Adenauer Forst :D But you knew I knew anyway...

Go and see if you can find a shop that sells both lenses and try them. Try microglobe as I linked to above, and if they don't have the Nikkor in as well try Jacobs or Jessops just round the corner on New Oxford Street.

It's a fair whack of money to spend on a lens, make sure it's the right choice eh?

Ross said:
Not much else to report as I sold mine 18 months ago after I bought my Nikkor 70-200 VR

What differences have you experienced between the Sigma HSM and the 70-200mm VR?

~£500 for the Sigma HSM, new, or £1k for the Nikkor, new...? :shrug: I'll see what the local shops have, for a play.

Back