which lens is best

adt

Name
alan
Edit My Images
Yes
hello all
i have a sigma 120-400 os which is a very very good lens but im thinking of trading it in for a sigma 70-200 and use a x2 tc, is this a good idea. and if i use a tc on the 70-200 i will also get the reach te 120-400 has or would i be better staying with the 400mm, im lost on what to do.
some advice would be great.
cheers..
alan...

Using a 2x TC on any zoom lens is a very bad idea. The image quality will be crap.

You'll lose both image quality and a couple of stops. Stick with what you've got.

I have twice bought teleconverters and both times I felt I had wasted money.
Not going down that road again.

Hi, Alan,
I've got to agree with the comments above. Quality deteriorates with a tc and you might well find that you lose autofocus too.
Andy.

TC's were predominantly designed to be used with the more expensive prime lenses like canon's 300mm f2.8 where the 1 or 2 f-stops of light although would effect things, it would not be as significantly as using the TC with the compatable zooms like the 70-200mm.

The 70-200 with work ok with the 1.4x TC, but forget using the 2x TC with that lens, its not a good combo.

You have reached the point where what do I do next, it will depend what you are intending to photograph, (motorsport or wildlife), but unfortunately the next step up from the sigma is a step up in $$. The Nikon's 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 or Canon's 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 lenses depending on your brand of camera, hit the £1000+ mark, along with the sigma's 120-300mm f2.8 which is £1500+ is just at the top of the affordable lenses.

The next level up again, are the primes like 500mm f4 (although Nikon do the fantastic 200-400mm f4 zoom), but this will set you back £3000+ which is serious money and kit.

Peter

thanks for the info, i think i will with what i have. one day i will get a prime lens when i can afford it.
cheers..
alan...

I used that combo (2x TC with 70-200) and was suprised by the results, still sharp with no huge loss in AF speed

What were the conditions like and what were you taking photo's of, the problem with the 2x TC is keeping the focus point on the subject, if you lose focus, you will have problems with hunting and missed shots especially for motorsport extra. Wildlife photography would be abit more forgiving for this combo, but you'll still need good light and you do lose image quality just for the extra glass you are putting in front of the camera.

Peter

it was an overcast day, was only Swans, birds but it seemed really quick and didnt hunt, sure Puddleduck had good results with the same combo aswell

Back