Which Lens to hire For BSB at Brands Indy ?

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Considering hiring a Lens to use with my Canon 40D for BSB at Brands Hatch Indy circuit this weekend.
Any recommendations ? I was thinking either 300 or 400 F2.8. Longest I have is 70-200mm. 300mm is cheaper and I guess possibly easier to use ? it will be first time shooting bikes.

Unfortunately can probably only make one day over the weekend.

Thanks in advance, Neil.

Depends where you are planning to shoot from to be honest.

On the inside of Druids for example, a 70-200 will be fine.

Some of the other places you will need a 400....

Was hoping to try some different places (may not be able to make Monday anyway) and am open to suggestions.
What would you think for coming out of Paddock hill bend and up towards Druids ?

Any other thoughts as to which is more suitable ?
Would a 300mm F2.8 + 1.4x extender be easier to use than 400mm ?
Can 400mm 2.8 handheld or only used on monopod ?
Neil.

The 300f2.8 is a lot lighter to lug round for the day than the 400f2.8 and I would never use my 300 on a monopod. It works really well with the 1.4x tc and is not to bad with a 2x if you use it right.

The 400 f2.8 is big lump to carry all day and you will need a monopod, its a lot heavier than the 300 f2.8 but with the 1.4 t/c it does give you a 560 f4 and if you are after pictures of single riders at paddock hill that's a very big help. The main disadvantage is the weight:eek:
I would slighty disagree with Glen on this one if you haven't used a 300 before you might well benefit from using a monopod (I know when I first started using a long lens - 300 and above - I did struggle, but prehaps thats just me).

The 400 f2.8 is big lump to carry all day and you will need a monopod, its a lot heavier than the 300 f2.8 but with the 1.4 t/c it does give you a 560 f4 and if you are after pictures of single riders at paddock hill that's a very big help. The main disadvantage is the weight:eek:
I would slighty disagree with Glen on this one if you haven't used a 300 before you might well benefit from using a monopod (I know when I first started using a long lens - 300 and above - I did struggle, but prehaps thats just me).

I can see where Graham is coming from with the monopod and would be worth taking one with you if you have one to try it out,but the 300 f2.8 is not that bad and i find that a monopod is a pain when trying to pan but it may just be be.
Im no muscle man at 5ft 9in and only 9 stone in weight and have no problem hand holding the 300 and carrying it round for the day complete with all my other gear.
Have you thought about the 300 f4 or 100-400 as an alternative to the big whites as loads lighter and easier to handle,have seen some excellent captures from both of these but having never used a 300 f4 im not to sure how it would handle a 1.4xtc to be honest.

Which ever you decide have a great weekend.

Maybe a stupid question and one you've already considered, but at brands you can generally get quite close compared to other circuits, you don't mention which 70-200 you've got but would a teleconverter on your existing lens not be long enough or is it too slow with the loss of a stop of light? You say you're on a crop sensor body so 200mm is like 320mm on a full frame and with a teleconverter makes it even longer obviously. Pro's that I've seen and spoken to that normally run a 300mm prime + teleconverters are on a full frame so you'd surely have a similar reach on your 40d body?

Andrew.

Having read what Glen has said and having the pleasure(or is it pain) of lugging the 400 around. I can't help but think that he is right if it was a choice of the 300 or 400 you would be better off with hiring the 300 f2.8 for the day.
The size and weight of the 400 is a bit of a shock when you first use it, although you do get use it. Personally I found the the size of it a bit of a stuggle to use for the first couple of days

Thanks for the replies guys.
I went to hire a 300mm F2.8 today, but because I had no option but to leave it to last minute, they were all booked out.
I have therefore taken a 400mm 2.8. You are not kidding when you say it is quite a lump. Not sure how I will get on with but will give it a go.
Will still be taking my 70-200 F4 in case it becomes too much as the day progresses! (Not sure how this would have performed with an extender)

Right choice! The 400 2.8 is a beaut!

Lets see what you got them (y)

Well, took the hired 400mm f2.8 along to Brands on Sunday, really enjoyed using it. First time shooting bikes and found the lens a bit of a handfull ! Thoroughly enjoyed using it, a real corker of a lens. Not sure I got the best out of it but pleased generally with my efforts.
Photos posted on the sharing section, let me know what you think.
Neil.

Back