Which Lens to Replace Kit Lens?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I've got a Canon 30D which I think is a very capable camera coupled with a Canon 70-200mm f/4 L lens.

I have the kit lens too, but that basically stays in the bag, so I'd like to sell that (probably get £30 if I'm lucky) and replace it with something else.

What options are out there for me? The best value for money is what I'm after and I don't mind going 2nd hand.

Cheers all,

what do you like to shoot, is there a budget??

a 24-105 would go well with the 70-200, as would a 24-70 or an 17-55.

what is wrong with your kit lens and what doesnt it do that you need it to?

I'm just thinking I might be able to get a sharper picture with a better lens other than the kit lens. Something that would work well with the Canon 70-200mm.

I'm in to stock photography and sports photography (hence the 70-200mm).

The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 or Tamron 17-50 f2.8 are excellent upgrades to the crappy Canon kit lens - assuming you want something in that sort of length.

The Tamron is a little slower focusing than the Sigma, but widely perceived to be slightly better. I've got both as loaners at the moment and can't really say I notice much difference other than the slower (noiser) AF on the Tamron and that the Tamron has a plastic body so is not as solid as the Sigma.

Both produce beautiful images.

I replaced my kit lens with a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 a couple of weeks ago which has improved my shots noticably. 2nd hand these go for around the £190 mark. New your looking at about £320 but check www.camerapricebuster.co.uk for up to date prices :D

A bit higher than I was intending on spending but I'll have a dig about and see what I can find.

You're not going to find anything much cheaper than that thats going to be significantly better... until you've seen one of them in action you won't realise quite how peachy they are in comparison to what you are used to either!

A Nifty Fifty (Canon 50mm 1.8) might be a good choice, which you can pick up for quite a bit less than £100.

When you say kit lens, do you mean the 18-55mm none IS?

It's the very old one that came with the Canon 30D, so yes the 18-55mm non IS.

EDIT: I like the idea of a nifty fifty, but I like the flexibility of the zoom too.

Apart from the fact that you get f1.8, there's not much else "nifty" about it though...

I've got the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which i am pretty pleased with to be honest , no idea how much it costs these days , i bought mine last year.

I went from the same lens to a Sigma 17-70 which I find very good

Not going to be as quality as a constant aperture zoom though... which is why I suggested the two above. Especially if the OP is used to the Canon 70-200 f4 (which is almost as good a lens as you will find anywhere)

Not going to be as quality as a constant aperture zoom though... which is why I suggested the two above. Especially if the OP is used to the Canon 70-200 f4 (which is almost as good a lens as you will find anywhere)

I have one of those too :)

And no you are right its not as good but its by no means a poor performer and a darn sight better than the kit lens :)

The 70-200 f4 is the only other lens I have and its a cracker

MB

Ooops, I just bought a sigma 18-55mm f 2.8 for £165.

I hope you made me pick the right one! :)

165 quid? Sounds like a good deal to me!

£165 was the used price, not new.

Somehow I fail to see the point in buying new when you can get such bargains 2nd hand??

The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 or Tamron 17-50 f2.8 are excellent upgrades to the crappy Canon kit lens - assuming you want something in that sort of length.

The Tamron is a little slower focusing than the Sigma, but widely perceived to be slightly better. I've got both as loaners at the moment and can't really say I notice much difference other than the slower (noiser) AF on the Tamron and that the Tamron has a plastic body so is not as solid as the Sigma.

Both produce beautiful images.

Show me your best shots from a lens at that price

I shoot with a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on a 30D and a 40D camera. I love this focal length combination and don't miss the 55-70mm gap.

I realize that this is a very expensive option but, your 70-200mm f/4L IS should mate very well with the 17-50m Tamron as a less expensive option.

Another less expensive option is the newer 18-55mm IS kit lens which is far better than the original non-IS kit lens which came with earlier cameras.

Finally, keep your kit lens (you can't get much out of that anyway) for your (18-28mm) wide angle needs and get the 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron. This great lens would match exactly with your telephoto in focal range and provide you with excellent imagery.

Back