Which Lens??????

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hi, can anyone help please?
Ive just gone and bought the Canon 5d mk 2 body only, I had in mind to buy a Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX macro DG and a Sigma AF 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro to go with it instead of the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 USM L IS.
After reading many reviews on all 3 lenses, I am now starting to regret my decision and think I should of been a bit more patient and gone for the kit lens!
I also have a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 USM L, a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L IS and a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM IS which I use with a EOS 40d.

Has anyone got any ideas on a good all rounder or can anyone let me know what the Sigma's are like??

Thanks.

I dont mean this to sound harsh but you should have bought the kit, if you didnt like the 24-105 you could have sold it on for a lot more than you paid for it! i doubt you wouldnt have liked it though, its a cracking walkabout lens. Theres a Tamron 28-75 in the for sale forum (not sure if its full frame compatible though?), you wont be able to use the 17-85 on your 5d either.

You seem to have a choice of lenes already. But obviously, the EF-s is no good on your 5D. What is it you are looking for?

Personally, I think that whatever you get, I'd try to stick to the Canon L series if you can - they're a safe bet.

You seem to have a choice of lenes already. But obviously, the EF-s is no good on your 5D. What is it you are looking for?

Personally, I think that whatever you get, I'd try to stick to the Canon L series if you can - they're a safe bet.

If it's a walkabout lens you're after, the 24-70 (Canon) is a very good purchase, ahead of the 24-105.

As others have said though, you could get the kit, sell the 24-105 on, white boxed for quite a profit and then put the gain towards the 24-70..

I agree with Badger, I'd always play the safe bet with getting L glass; a full frame sensor will show up optical flaws big time and Sigma are known for their inconsistent quality, especially in terms of sharpness :thumbsdown:

another vote for buying kit and selling the 24-105 afterwards, the same for 17-85. Then you can play with sigma, but be prepared to send them back or check thoroughly if buying used.

Ive just gone and bought the Canon 5d mk 2 body only, I had in mind to buy a Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX macro DG and a Sigma AF 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro to go with it instead of the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 USM L IS.
After reading many reviews on all 3 lenses, I am now starting to regret my decision and think I should of been a bit more patient and gone for the kit lens!
If you bought it mail order you can return it under the DSR by notifying them within 7 days, then you reorder the kit.
Alternatively, if you bought it locally just take it back to the shop , talk nicely to them & ask for an exchange.

Back