which lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I amalso new to the great art I would like to take close up photo's of nature ie spider ina web etc which lens do I need I get confused with macros and telephoto's I have a canon 350 and a sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Dg Macro takes nice photos but dont know what I'm doing yet

Macro is what you need for close up shots gerryanne.

Macro is what you need, I would suspect that your getting confused due to the fact that your lens becomes macro at the 300mm end (telephoto)?

Allan

Gerryanne,

Sorry for pasting this in but two similar questions in the same day....

The true definition of a macro lens is one that gives a 1:1 or greater image. Lots of manufacturers put a macro symbol on their zoom lenses but this is really to imply that close focus is possible....not 1:1

I would suggest an EF-S60 or EF100 as a good starter macro on your 350D but the Sigma 105mm also produces great images. All of these lenses will give you a 1:1 image at the closest focussing distance. Longer f/l lenses...150/180mm will increase the working distance and this is useful for things that you don't want to frighten away.

Bob

Hi Gerry, I think Bobs summed it up nicely.

I have the ef100 Macro so if you guys fancy a stroll round Strumpshaw Fen on a weekend pm me and i'll try and meet you and bring it along for a test run.

Mitch.

Back