which lens

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
hi im after some advice on which lens to buy next, i have nikon d50 with the kit lens 18-55 and a stigma 70-300 dg apo macro lens. i want a lens maybe around the 50mm range to do nice clear pic's, portraits, everyday pic's even macro, my budget is tight at the minute, any help or advice would be welcome

Plenty of lens reviews here

As a canon user I don't know a lot about Nikon gear but I thought I read somewhere that the kit lens with nikon was quite respectable?

If you want macro on a budget the cheapest way is to buy some extension tubes and use the lenses you have for macro. They are just empty spacers that move the lens away from the camera and allow it to focus much closer.

I use ones with no electrical connection to the lens and just set to aperture priority. Not sure if that would be a problem with the nikon.

Robert is correct, i use cheap machined tubes and they are very good!

I'd highly recommend a 50mm standard lens as your next purchase.

They're usually among the more affordable lenses.

They're fast, so are great for available light shots.

They produce good oof bokeh.

FOV is compromised somewhat on a 1.6 sensor, but you get an effective 80mm portrait lens by way of compensation.

50mm lenses have good macro capability without costing a fortune when they're used in conjunction with supplementary close-up lenses or extension tubes. They usually produce their best macro results when mounted on the camera in reverse with an adapter mount.

thanks lads, i can get this Nikon 50mm F1.8D AF Lens new for £79

what about these any goodMacro Extension Tube Set for Nikon There is NO electronic connection between the body and the lens. Automatic lenses can be used with their widest open aperture only.
It contain 3 tubes with lengths 9mm, 16mm, 30mm and male and female EOS EF mount £9.99
thanks again

EOS EF is Canon unless I'm mistaken ;)

Something similar but Nikon should work OK. Worst case is you will have to use manual to set the exposure.

As to widest aperture only, that is not true with Canon EF. You can get round it by fitting the lens to the camera normally.....setting the aperture to say f11.....press depth of field preview button - and remove the lens with the button still pressed. It stays at the preset aperture and does no harm to camera or lens (at least not to mine so far and not where i read the tip). No idea if the same is true for Nikon.

Oh yes meant to say spacer tubes are good with a longer zoom lens (I use mine with 70-200) because you can use the zoom action to focus accurately. Mounted on a tripod that is of course.

The normal focus ring does next to nothing with spacer tubes so you focus by changing your distance from the subject if hand holding.

Taken with 70-200 set at f8 on about 60mm of spacers...

drop.jpg

This one shows how shallow the depth of field is....missed the focus on the eye - got the middle of the head.

Fly%2070-200%20f8.jpg

Back