which macro lens

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all, im thinking about getting a new macro lens and ive narrowed it down to a few, i will be using a nikon d50 body, any advice would be welcome, thanks

Sigma: 105mm F2.8 EX "DG" AF
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX APO HSM Macro Lens
Tamron: SP 90mm F2.8 DI 1:1 AF Macro Autofor

Why not Nikon's own 105mm ? Works great on the D70s ... or it did until the CF Compartment saga !?! (see thread for details !).

I went through the same process you're going through but from a Canon viewpoint.
I bought the Sigma 150mm.
Now then, I've only had it a week and I'm stunned by the quality.
Let me put that into context. I have three Canon L lenses from wide to telephoto and this lens has impressed me more.
Give me some time and I might change my mind, maybe I'll think the contrast is less than the Canons or perhaps the bokeh is not so good. I don't know yet, but I'll tell you this I don't have a sharper lens in my bag.
Great for portraits also.

Depends on how often you'll be using it - if it's going to be a mainstay of your kit-list, then go for the best you can afford; this usually means Nikon for me.
If you'll only use it for occasional stuff, then a Sigma would be my choice also - I use a Sigma 14mm fishy-thing for the occasional ultra-wide shot and although it doesn't cope at all well with flare compared to the Nikkor 14mm, it'll do for most of the time.

Garnock said:
I bought the Sigma 150mm.

When I bought my canon 100mm I don't think the sigma 150 was available. I've seen nothing but good things ever since about the sigma and think it would be my first choice now.

Back