Which Macro ?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been looking about for a reasonable macro lens for a while but don't want to go mad with the wonga (not sure if macro will suit me) so im after thoughts from the macro fans.

Do I go for the :-

Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro
or
Sigma 105MM F2.8 DG Macro
or
Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
or
Tamron AF 90mm 90 F2.8 SP Di Macro

I have read good and bad things about all of them so no harm in asking.

All of them are more than competent at doing what they're designed for; Macro. What sort of macro photography do you want to do? If its insects, then the long focal length of the Sigma 150mm F2.8 will come in usefull (This is the one I use) Whereas if your shooting flowers and general macro shots then you will probably be better off (And your wallet will be happier) with one of the others such as the Tamron. Remember though that all of them also double up as great general use prime lenses. Ive used my Sigma 150mm F2.8 for portraits, wildlife etc.

:)

I have the Sigma 105 macro and I couldn't be happier with it. I've not used any of the others but Tamron always comes highly reviewed.

Canon 100mm 2.8 USM Macro

if I needed longer I would have to save for the Canon 180mm L

I've the Sigma 105mm. It's a fantastic lens. I'd have bought the 150mm if I could have afforded it at the time, it'll give you a couple more inches working distance.

Sigma 105 here too. Not too heavy either and good as a portrait lens....not over expensive like the Canon.

A toss up between Sigma 105 & Tamron 90 I think... Id go with the Sigma for the extra length as they are the same price almost.

Thanks for the feedback all, I'm very tempted by the Tamron at the moment its a very reasonably priced lens... but decisions were never my strong point :)

I have the Canon 100mm, but if I was in the same situation again I would go for the Sigma 150mm, the extra distance would be good for insects and the IQ looks good.

The problem im having going for the Sigma 150mm is the filter size, I have an Opteka ETTL macro ring flash and I think the hole is to small to support the 72mm I know it fits on the 100mm canon but will have to measure it.

The flash was only about a £130 new and great value, its a start and I don't want to go out and buy an expensive one if its not going to get the use.

Thanks all,
I have ordered the Tamron from good old hong kong £180 delivered. I can't go wrong at that price and even if I want to upgrade later can't see me losing much , if anything!

Back