Which MF??

fraggle101

Not a mermaid
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys, im thinking about getting an MF camera but dont know what to get.. So, what is there out there.. iv seen loads but dont know the ins and outs..

Also, how do MF images equate to digital?? is the 1Ds Mkll equal to one or not quite??

I hope im making this clear!! lol.. im sure you know what i mean..(y)

Ahhhhhh fraggle, where to begin with this one!

Ok, I've not long bought into MF myself so I'll share what I found and hopefully it will help. (or confuse the hell out of us both!)

The older MF cameras are Twin Lens Reflex cameras. One lens takes the pic and the other is the viewfinder. The viewing screen is on the top and the image appears upside down and back to front. Lubitel is a Russian TLR still in manufacture and incredibly cheap.

Then you have the rectangular format or 645 (6x4.5) Mamiya 645 and I think Bronica SQA are that format. Relatively inexpensive compared to their price a few years ago and much favoured by wedding togs. Relatively portable and good studio cameras with high synch speeds. Can also have viewfinders that give some basic metering that allow shooting in aperture priority.

Then you have square format (6x6) Hasselblad being the most widely recognised. Superb image quality and even though you can pick up a hassy without the previous obligatory mortgage, the lenses are still expensive to add if you want to expand.

Mamiya RB 6x7 format. Put it this way Ven just bought one and CT is in love with his. Disadvantage is a slight lack of portability (unless you employ a sherpa) and it requires scaffolding rather than a tripod. Amazing camera and can be had for silly, silly prices.

As for image quality? They really can't be beaten. The larger the format, the larger the negative. I have heard that a well scanned neg from MF would equal 20-30 megapixels on a DSLR.

CT can probably add more to that than I can but those were my initial findings when I started looking.

I bought a Mamiya 645 in the end and I love it!

Hope that helps.

Don't make them compete, its just a different way to take a photo, apples & oranges.
Digital can get a bit dull after a while, a change is as good as a rest:LOL:

Intentions ? budget ?

Etrs is 645, SQ-A is 6x6

I would get a Hasselblad 500C or 501 in a used kit from KEH, and try it out. Only going to set you back maybe £400 for a nice used one, and if you need a digital back for it, rent one as needed.

The same goes for Mamiya 645 AFD if you want auto focus.

You may consider a Contax 645, but lenses and other parts are starting to become hard to find for it.

I just picked up a 45mm and a 150mm lens for my Mamiya 645 for the princely sum of £150 for the pair. I doubt if you could find that for a Hassy, much as I'd love to justify getting one lol.

I do love the Hasselblad and I actually like the square format too.

iv always loved the look of prints from this format.. they have so much more depth..

Im starting to do more portrate stuff now, studio and location..also the detail for Landscape would be fantastic.. I went to a Gallery the other day and spoke to the tog, he uses a 5x4 and the images!! well.. i think MF is about as far as i could go for now but need to research it first..

So Any format of 120 is better than digital slr's? just which one!!

I was looking in London Camera Exchange today and it looks like £600 could get a different range of cameras.. So, 645 or 6x7??

Thanks for that AliB.. lots of good info for me to digest..

Joxby, im in need of a change!! iv always wanted a MF camera.. its only now that i could really warrent having one!! lol.. or afford!!

Thanks Don.. the preverbial spanner thrower!! lol.. So much choice!! Im going to have to research this a bit more before i jump.. who has the most spare bits and bobs ect..

Well, I'm biased, I'm just gonna say get square 6x6, everything else just appears.....awkward
6x7 is a good size for printing though.

I think Bronica is the most affordable with tons of stuff

I did a lot of my pre buying research on fleabay Fraggle, gave me a very good idea of what was out there and how much it should cost to put together what I wanted.

I know what you mean about the images you can get from them, they really are something else. I'm still wrestling with mine but I'll get there. I'm developing my own B&W and when I finally get it all to work I'll scan the negs into photoshop.

The battle will resume this weekend!

lol.. its gonna be fun going back to manual focus too!!

I was thinking the Bronica.. ETRS.. we'll see..

I want to buy this old codger:wacky:

*smacks head*

You've completely had it now Frag, remember the 5d thing, times it by 10:LOL:

It's actually a really easy choice.

If you want ultimate quality, you get 6*7. If you want portability, you get 6*45. If you want ultimate class, you get 6*6.

Personally, I love 6*6 but I prefer the brony SQ's to the blads, as you get all the image and none of the brand nonsense. For portrait work, square works and I used one for a long while but you end up cropping back to 6*45 anyway, so you might as well get one.

6*7 is a fab neg size and prints really well but the cameras are pretty huge and not always great for hand holding.

I've never really liked 6*45 cameras but I do have one now as it makes a great digi platform and handles like a big 35mm slr.

You need to go and heft a few about and the truth is, you probably wont pick one..... it will pick you. ;)

omg.. what am i doing!! lol..

Im not going to buy the first one i see.. im not... really... NOOOOOO!!!!!

Im ok.. im going to bed!! before i do something i'll enjoy!! :LOL:

6*6 ultimate class

I gotta write that down...its superbly poetic

:LOL:

I'm getting to grips with an RZ67 after using 35mm, it's a monster camera and needs a good solid tripod as it's so heavy and physically large. The mind set it polar opposite to using DSLR where everything is done for you, I'm pretty sure they'll invent a DSLR to brain USB cable that'll remove the need for the photographer to even bother pressing the shutter soon.

Yes, so pretty much fully manual (unless you get an AF model with metering prism) and depending on which film you use, it could be up to a quid a shot (which still works out cheaper than running a pro. spec DSLR in the long run) so it's time to slow down, observe the scene, compose, measure the light, re-compose, check focus and cocking lever(s), dark slide removed, recheck composition & light and... shoot. The shutter noise is sublime BTW, you really know you've taken a picture, whether it's any good or not is another matter :)

Which MF Fraggle? hmm how long is a piece of string?

As discussed above there are a number of formats:

645 has the same image layout as the 35mm (rectangle) which some people prefer. The main one is the Mamiya 1000 series, loads about and have good range of lenses and I think they come with metering heads (center weighted meter, no evalutive metering system here)
Other than that you have the Contax machine, great bit of kit but they hold the prices very well and are getting harder to find on the used market.
Hasselblad also do a 645 machine with their H Series. Again fantastic and every thing a photographer wants, IF you have a deep enough wallet.

6x6 the traditional photographers camera, but some people find a square format difficult to use. I don't I love it for everything.:love:

If you are looking at a budget system and you want quality, then the Mamiya 330 series (go for the later F or S ones) is a very good buy. They are twin lens, view through the top exposue with the bottom lens, and have a range of lenes. The couple of flaws with theses cameras are:

Tricky to use filters espically grads and polorizers, but not impossible

Go in close: because of the two lenes you will have to do the old parrallex correction (this can be solved by getting a 'porrofinder' I think it is called) so you have to move the whole camera up to correct it.

Advatages. Tottally mechanical no batteries and because to do not have a mirror slap very quiet to use. Also sync at all flash speeds.

Hasselblads you have the mechanical 500 series and then the electronic 2000 series. These have built a fine reputation over the years and have great lenese. However you will have to pay extra for this as again they hold there prices well on the used market. But their system will allow you to take pictures from the bottom of the ocean to the moon.
They do have some handleing quirks especially with the loading of film in the 500 series (Google it).

Bronica SQ series. These are a Japanese copy of the Hasselblads (why not copy a winning formular) and if you go for one of these I would deffinatly recommend getting a SQAi (last of them easier to do long exposre on). All of the SQ series are electronic machines and will sync flash at any speed.
Again they have a good selection of lens to cover most picture taking situations.
You can get some bargins if you are prepared to hunt and wait on Ebay.

6x7 The recoqnised winner here is the Mamiya 67. Again this uses a rectangle and I believe has the ideal format. The big advantage it has is it revolving back, so you can switch from protrait to landscape with out taking the machine off the tripod. I suppose the only down side to it is its weight, being 5lb you better have a good camera bag and shoulder to carry it. But the quility of the images is superb.

I have used MF cameras on and off over the last 20 years and if you are not doing it for professional reasons then there is very little if any thing to say one machine has better image quaility than the other (only size 6x6 is bigger than 645, 6x7 is bigger than them all).
They do slow you down you need to learn how to see the image, even learn to use a hand held meter (great fun get a Weston Master V, no batteries :D).
There are no zooms (well not quite true some of the 645 kit has them) and the lens are usually slower and the max speed of most of the cameras is 1/500.
But they are great hope this help abit Fraggle and keep us posted on what you get. :)

The shutter noise is sublime BTW,

That glorious noise is actually nothing to do with the shutter, which is just a tiny little mechanism built into the lens and which is virtually silent apart from a tiny click. The noise is actually due to the large mirror flying up, and at the same time, a huge light baffle in the back of the camera also flies up to enable the light to hit the film. When you press the lever to reset the shutter you also wind the mirror and the baffle down too. Fantastic piece of engineering. :woot:

That glorious noise is actually nothing to do with the shutter

I used the term 'shutter' generically. It is a wonderful noise though, a sort of "Kerchomp"

. Fantastic piece of engineering. :woot:

Couldn't agree more, evidently a result of many years of tweaking. The only gripe I have is the rather floppy shutter release button and locking mechanism, it's a bit fiddly, but the rest of the knobs, levers and dials are solid as a rock.

The first time mine went "kerchomp" my family looked at me askance. "What the hell was that?" "Is that thing clockwork?" were the first comments.

Now it gets called the box brownie.

he he, I can see a new thread forming..
post your shutter sound:LOL:

fffwwwwuuuPPP clunk = Bronica EC

fffwwwwuuuPPP = Bronica EC + mirrors lock-up

oh and, 12 bore recoil

Back