Beginner Which Mirrorless Camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Have just started getting into photography and have borrowed a Canon EOS 400D which I took with me to Marrakech to practise with and really enjoyed using it.
However, I realise its a bit dated now, lacking in features and found it a bit big and heavy to travel around with. I really like the idea of a CSC camera for future trips as they are a lot smaller, lighter and can do the same job?

I popped into a camera shop recently and the guy recommended the Olympus OM-D E-M10. They guy said that these have loads of lenses available where as the Sony ones don't (yet?)

Should I go ahead and get the Olympus, can anyone recommend something better for similar money. Or am I completely missing something and should be getting a DSLR?

Just need some reassurance really....

Thanks,

Dave

The EM10 is a fantastic camera, I took one to Marrakech in Feb and it was ideal:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157650349747177

The reason I like micro 4/3 cameras is that the lenses are also smaller then those with APSC sensors (fuji, Sony the other mirrorless leaders) which plays to the reason of having a mirrorless camera in the first place.

edit: all of my recent Flickr stuff was taken on M4/3 kit too - I bought it for a travel camera and it ended up replacing my full frame DSLR which I haven't picked up since!

Last edited:
I had the EM10 and upgraded it to the EM5-II and both are fantastic cameras being able to produce stunning photos. My EM5-II is my travel camera as I find my D750 too big and heavy to travel around with. The reason I upgraded to the EM5-II was mainly weather sealing, but also the larger viewfinder and better IBIS. For me the M4/3 system has a great balance between size/weight and image quality, and has all the lenses that you will ever need.

However, if I just had one system rather than having DSLR and mirrorless I'd have to give some serious consideration to the Sony a6000 due to the autofocus system and the fact I do some sports and wildlife photography. The EM10/EM5 aren't great at continuous autofocus or tracking.

I had the EM10 and upgraded it to the EM5-II and both are fantastic cameras being able to produce stunning photos. My EM5-II is my travel camera as I find my D750 too big and heavy to travel around with. The reason I upgraded to the EM5-II was mainly weather sealing, but also the larger viewfinder and better IBIS. For me the M4/3 system has a great balance between size/weight and image quality, and has all the lenses that you will ever need.

However, if I just had one system rather than having DSLR and mirrorless I'd have to give some serious consideration to the Sony a6000 due to the autofocus system and the fact I do some sports and wildlife photography. The EM10/EM5 aren't great at continuous autofocus or tracking.

Sorry to gatecrash the thread but do you find much difference in size/weight between the EM10 and 5ii? I am just pondering whether to replace my smashed EM10 with a EM10ii or 5ii. The 5ii is better value at the moment as it is older and therefore reduced more with the grey importers yet it is a bit bigger and heavier than the EM10 and actually the 5ii isn't that much lighter than my EM1...

Sorry to gatecrash the thread but do you find much difference in size/weight between the EM10 and 5ii? I am just pondering whether to replace my smashed EM10 with a EM10ii or 5ii. The 5ii is better value at the moment as it is older and therefore reduced more with the grey importers yet it is a bit bigger and heavier than the EM10 and actually the 5ii isn't that much lighter than my EM1...
I didn't notice the size difference tbh. I know the 5-II is bigger, but I just didn't notice. I guess if you had them side by side and picked them both up you may notice a teeny difference. I did notice the weight difference but it really isn't significant IMO, and the lens you use can make more of a difference anyway. I've not tried the EM10-II so can't comment on that.

I didn't notice the size difference tbh. I know the 5-II is bigger, but I just didn't notice. I guess if you had them side by side and picked them both up you may notice a teeny difference. I did notice the weight difference but it really isn't significant IMO, and the lens you use can make more of a difference anyway. I've not tried the EM10-II so can't comment on that.

Good point re the lens, I had the 12-40 pro on an EPM2 in NYC recently and that was fine weight wise.

The EM10 is a fantastic camera, I took one to Marrakech in Feb and it was ideal:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157650349747177

The reason I like micro 4/3 cameras is that the lenses are also smaller then those with APSC sensors (fuji, Sony the other mirrorless leaders) which plays to the reason of having a mirrorless camera in the first place.

edit: all of my recent Flickr stuff was taken on M4/3 kit too - I bought it for a travel camera and it ended up replacing my full frame DSLR which I haven't picked up since!

Thanks, that does make sense. I want to use it as a travel camera so size/weight is important. Think I might order the Olympus soon

Your Marrakech photo look great btw.

Dave

Last edited:
Back