Which one's Better

Whichever one feels better in your hands, you can navigate quickly and efficiently and the one that is going to drag you out of the house every day looking for something new to photograph

Whichever one feels better in your hands, you can navigate quickly and efficiently and the one that is going to drag you out of the house every day looing for something new to photograph

Exactly, it matters not a jot whether a camera has 2 million more pixels or an anti-dust system or whether so-and-so uses that brand. If it doesn't feel right in your hand then you won't use it, it's as simple as that...

the canon has more lenses available and many other accessories, but if you love the feel of the sony get that theres plenty a folks on here with sonys

the canon has more lenses available and many other accessories,
not that much difference really esp. at the entry level & gap getting smaller all the time.

I'll echo what everyone else has said though & say go & handle them & see what suits you best. There's also the new A230 which is smaller, lighter, has an improved kit lens but will be dearer until the initial buying frenzy passes & prices settle.

not that much difference really esp. at the entry level & gap getting smaller all the time.

yeah there is a difference in the glass available canon sony not saying they aint good cameras but there are more options available in canon or nikon than there are available in any of the other fittings.

nb I did not count 3rd party glass as cpb doesn't list any for sony - though I have seen it on WEX I'm sure

Have a look at all the accessories not just the lenses that you are likely to buy as cost and choice can vary greatly, once you start going down one route and build up a collection of bits and bobs it makes it harder to change

And as you appear to already have a canon 400d eos in your sig, I can see no compelling reason to change. Perhaps moving to a 40d might make a difference though.

Graham

yeah there is a difference in the glass available canon sony not saying they aint good cameras but there are more options available in canon or nikon than there are available in any of the other fittings.

nb I did not count 3rd party glass as cpb doesn't list any for sony - though I have seen it on WEX I'm sure
there is very little that isn't available for the Minolta/Sony system - principally less expensive tilt/shifts (Hartbleis are available) & ultra teles (although there is a 500/4 coming shortly) but I'm sure that you will agree that those aren't likely to be used at entry level.
Remember that Sony don't need to do IS & non-IS versions.

As for 3rd party glass - Sigma & Tamron are available & Tokina are about to start making MAF/Alpha mount again now that Sony are getting on for 15% global market share. & of course there are also lesser brands available.

Back