Which photo printer less than £80(ish)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I'm after a photo printer - yep, after not having any form of printer for over 4 years, i've decided I need to get one. I'll be mainly printing out photos at A4 or below, but would like to the do the usual letters, envelopes, stickers, CD's etc. As I am from Yorkshire, I would also like the cheapest inks possible (therefore compatibles).

The Epson R300 looks like a good bet - any comments or suggestions to other models? Any weblinks for cheapo printers and ink?

Cheers,
Matt

I'm an Epson man anyway, but I'd highly recommend the R300. I have one and it out -performs far more expensive printers I've bought in the past, in fact I can't believe the price of it. I've just started using a really cheapo set of compatible inks for the R300 and they perform really well so I wont be going back to paying Epson prices. :icon_eek:

I'm using the ridisc compatibles from SVP in my R200 with no problems at all. Noticed the price has gone up a little £7.71 for two sets of 6 carts - was that price for two sets of 7 (extra black cart). The printer accepts them same as the epson ones and the driver displays ink levels etc.

The 300 is a 200 with a display panel and/or card slot I believe - an extra I did not need. I think the 200 and 300 are discontinued now. The 200 is not a fast printer but that does not matter for home use.

I print only the occaisional picture - too much hassle +cost for my taste. I uploaded 112 pictures to Bonusprint Sunday evening. The 7x5's arrived in this mornings post for £15. Couldn't buy the paper for that.

I think the new models R220 and R320 are pretty easily within your budget. You will not be unhappy with either.

I have the R200 which is the same as the R300 except for the built in card reader/lcd thingybob and I reckon it's just brilliant.

Ah. I don't need the card reader or screen anyway - in that case, is there no difference between the R200 and R300 (or the new 220/320)?

Matt

I've had Epsons and Canons and will always go for Canon for reliability. At the moment I'm using the Pixma 4000 - excellent printer.

regards

ive got an Epson CX6600, its not a dedicated photoprinter, but it does a fab job!

Another Canon user here, I didn't like the way Epson printers seemed to block if not used almost daily.

I eventually went for the R300 over the Canon 4000. Reason? Quality from both seemed to be extremely high, price difference in the shop decided it.

Steve said:
Another Canon user here, I didn't like the way Epson printers seemed to block if not used almost daily.

ssssoooooooooooooooooooooooo true.:nunu:

Yeah its a shame because the quality is almost identical but the price of the Canon range seem to be more expansive overall. Thats no good to me though if the Epson keep blocking.

Do they block in general, or have you just had bad luck? I've not come across that before. Why would Canon be any different?

Matt

Might have to eat my words here if this one blocks up... but I have had problems with Canon heads blocking up in the past. Ahh memories of rinsing the print head under the hot tap trying to resurrect it...

That experience was the reason I bought a HP printer previous to this Epson - disposable print heads. But for the cost of the carts I would still be using it. A black and colour cart pair for the 990cxi cost as much as the R200 printer!

Dunno why Canon would be different but I have had this happen to many people that I know with Epsons and if you do a general internet search you will read many reports of the same thing. I don't know if Epson have improved this in the R200/300 range or later though as its been a while since I looked into buying/quality of printers, hopefully its a problem of the past?

feenster said:
Do they block in general, or have you just had bad luck? I've not come across that before. Why would Canon be any different?

Matt

I'm not convinced the problem is as bad as it used to be. Designs must have improved by now.

The problem is air getting to the face of the print head and drying the ink which seals the microscopic nozzles. The parked position for the head has a rubber seal to keep the heads from drying..... as long as it works properly.

Steve said:

As Steve said - that's my reason for staying off Epsons.

regards

Well, i've had a good search, and found a few reports of print heads blocking on R200/R300's. Hopefully, this will have been sorted for the R220/320 models, as I can't see any other obvious changes between the models.

I think its going to just come down to price. Amazon prices:
Epson R220 = £63
Canon IP4200 = £86

I can't think the extra resolution of the IP4200 will make that much difference to me.

Matt

I've had my Epson R200 since January and maybe print 1 or 2 pages a week. I've never had a blocked nozzle on it yet.

Earlier Epsons I've owned have had that problem but it really is a doddle to sort once you know how and certainly should not put you off buying one.

Steep said:
I've had my Epson R200 since January and maybe print 1 or 2 pages a week. I've never had a blocked nozzle on it yet.

Earlier Epsons I've owned have had that problem but it really is a doddle to sort once you know how and certainly should not put you off buying one.

If that’s the case its good to know that they have listened to the complaints and sorted the issues, earlier printers were terrible. The initial cost of buying the printer is small in comparison to what you will spend on media and ink during its lifetime and to have that wasted by blocked/clogged print head adds to the misery.

feenster said:
Well, i've had a good search, and found a few reports of print heads blocking on R200/R300's. Hopefully, this will have been sorted for the R220/320 models, as I can't see any other obvious changes between the models.

I think its going to just come down to price. Amazon prices:
Epson R220 = £63
Canon IP4200 = £86

I can't think the extra resolution of the IP4200 will make that much difference to me.

Matt

The resolution at this level will be virtually indistinguishable, both printers offering stunning results for VERY little money. I am glad you have decided and hope it runs flawlessly for you.

Keep us updated on your progress as if everything is fine then we can finally assume that they have sorted out the niggles. :)

Cheers for all the replies. I will keep you posted, although I feel some last minute swerving will probably occur ;)

Matt

Steep said:

I have the R300, and like Steep I've had no problems with blocked nozzles.
This problem did happen with other epson printers I've owned, I think its down to the old inks.

Good write up Steep. Isn't this what Bachs does - printer maintenance/repair? He might have some useful input on this.

I have an Epsom C84 and have found that if you used any other brand of ink carriage after a while the will stop working. as soon as you put an Epsom cartridge in it works again

i also have an epson r300 which i run on bluetooth ive hadi t over 12mths now and used it as my second printer, ive had no problem with ink issues at all and its not used on a regular basis . i have a canon i550x which has been a superb printer, a little old now but still going strong, the only problem i had with the epson was my photo,s were quite dark but i think that was down to me and not the printer

Steve said:
Very cruel :nono: Now be nice and appologise :p

I do so..unreservedly - it just tickled me, I have so many mornings when my fingers hit all the wrong keys. :coat:

I must admit it made me smile too and then your reply cracked me up :LOL:

stewart said:
i also have an epson r300 which i run on bluetooth ive hadi t over 12mths now and used it as my second printer, ive had no problem with ink issues at all and its not used on a regular basis . i have a canon i550x which has been a superb printer, a little old now but still going strong, the only problem i had with the epson was my photo,s were quite dark but i think that was down to me and not the printer

Stewart
Did you do anything to rectify this ?? Just picked up a R200 for the right money - but to be honest it too is printing off far too dark, especially B&W prints !!! :ponders: Can't understand what it is............

THX what software are you printing from and how exactly are you going about it?

Stewart, are you using the print profiles for the paper your using.

Most paper manufacturers have profiles on their WWW sites.

Mr THX said:
Stewart
Did you do anything to rectify this ?? Just picked up a R200 for the right money - but to be honest it too is printing off far too dark, especially B&W prints !!! :ponders: Can't understand what it is............

with mine me and steve solved this problem, it was down to a setting but cannot think what it was for the life of me, so its user error i would say rarther than anything wrong with your printer

Matt said:
Stewart, are you using the print profiles for the paper your using.

Most paper manufacturers have profiles on their WWW sites.

no im not will try that next time i use the printer, cheers

Steep said:
THX what software are you printing from and how exactly are you going about it?

Last night I just plugged the R200 in, got it working then did a sample print straight from XP - (double click on an image in explorer) I think it opens the image up in 'photo manager' ?? Ask it to print a full A4 page - set the printer to 'Best Photo' and selected High Quality Glossy paper (Which I was using) set it off printing but the B&W image came out very very dark.

I did download the latest driver and ICC profile from Epson this morning but won't have chance to try them untill I get home.

Is there a gereral preference to what people use to print ?? ie Photoshop etc..

Were you using epson glossy, or paper by another manufacturer?

Have you calibrated your monitor?

THX I think as long as the software you're using allows you to choose an icc profile it will be fine, I use photoshop elements myself.

Matt said:
Were you using epson glossy, or paper by another manufacturer?

Have you calibrated your monitor?

Matt - No I'm using 'Kodak Ultima Photo Paper' some glossy 270g/m2 paper I picked up on offer at PC World. !!

I will try the Kodak site for the correct ICC profile for that paper.

Secondly no I havent calibrated my monitor, keep trying to talk our local Camera Club into purchasing a 'Spyder' or something similar.

Back