Which print film shall I buy?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I have been itching to try out one of my many EBay finds (usually purchased for the lens), and decided to load an in date Fuji Superia film into the Minolta 7000. This however has got me thinking. If the results are OK, but the contrast is a bit harsh, then will I blame it on the camera, the film or me?
So, I have been looking at the price of decent print film, and Kodak Portra 160 and Fuji Reala 160 seem to stand out as my best bets for doing a mix of portrait and wildlife shots.
What do you guys think, and where should I get them developed?

Andy

No contest, Portra.
Fuji 160s used to be my number 1 choice but it has been left (well) behind in recent times.

No contest, Portra.
Fuji 160s used to be my number 1 choice but it has been left (well) behind in recent times.

Cheers Ed, as a matter of interest where do you go for developing? Also, how much room for error has the film exposure wise?

Andy

The Portra series has a hugh lattitude, you can under or overexpose by 2 stops and still get fantastic results with normal development. For example I exposed some Portra 400 at ISO 1600 and there was barely any difference compared to those metered at ISO 400 or 800.

I use Club 35 for my developing and printing.

I dev it myself so can't really help I'm afraid.
Not really done any proper tests about latitude, guess it is as above.

Cheers guys. I feel drawn to this, because I have now "accumulated" a few film cameras as a result of buying lenses - 2 x Minolta 7000, 2 x Pentax Spotmatic (both immaculate), 2 x Black Nikkormat FTn (again immaculate) 2 x Zenith (1 is a Zenit), and I really feel guilty for not using them.
I will start off with the Minoltas and then graduate to the manual cameras. I took some piccies with the Nikkormat and Vivitar zoom at a Chatham Navy day a few years ago (guessing exposures, but they seemed OK), but never got around to scanning them (or more importantly buying a scanner).
As you can probably tell, I have the dreaded photographers desease - "Collectivitis"

Back