Which SLR for Portrait and Wedding

• Thread starter wastedperfection
  • Start date
W

wastedperfection

Hi All,

I am a newbie and about to buy my first DSLR. Have been into Photography all my life and have a goal in mind. I want to within 5yrs develop my skills in Photography, get some experience, lean alot and then open a Photography Studio to do Portraits and Wedding Photography.

WHich DSLR in your opinion would be the best for Portrait and Wedding photography except the Canons that cost £4k and upwards)? :help:

Matt

ive heard a lot of wedding and studio togs use the Fuji S5 Pro, uses nikon lenses and is great for skin tones, plus its not the most expensive body too even though it uses the nikon d200 body

Hi Cannockwolf,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah ive heard the same. But then again ive heard someone on a different forum say the Sony A200 would be best (which cant be true lol)

Matt

Hi Matt :wave: , first of all, what's your total budget, as you're going to need more than just a camera to do portrait and wedding photography.....lots more ;)

Just read a review of the Fuji S5 Pro and it says pixe sharpness is terrible. Ive just been looking at the Canon 5D and seen a few second hand bodies going for £700ish. (and reviews say excellent pixel sharpness)

Plus its full frame so that would probably be a good place to start wouldnt it?

Matt

Hi flashinthepan,

My total budget is about £1500 to start as i wouldnt be doing weddings for a few years as i want to get really good first.

I could find £1500 for the body and a few lenses (i already have tripod, memory cards etc)

Matt

what do you have at the moment?

Hi All,

I want to within 5yrs develop my skills in Photography, get some experience, lean alot and then open a Photography Studio to do Portraits and Wedding Photography.

Matt

In five years time you'll be upgrading your body anyway to one that is most suitable for you then so in the mean time I'd find a system rather than a body and pick a body in your price range from that system. Whatever you pick will be fine to learn with.

Just read a review of the Fuji S5 Pro and it says pixe sharpness is terrible. Ive just been looking at the Canon 5D and seen a few second hand bodies going for £700ish. (and reviews say excellent pixel sharpness)

Plus its full frame so that would probably be a good place to start wouldnt it?

Matt

Depends if you're going to be taking pictures of pix(i)es or not :naughty:

Both the S5 Pro and the 5D are popular for wedding and portrait work, the S5 is a total bargain at just over £400 new for what it does, but then so is a MKI Canon 5D now that the new model is out :thinking:

There's more too it than just initial body price and web reviews, you need to try each camera and see which you prefer working with and you also need to consider things such as the cost and availability of lenses and flashguns and other associated gear, suddenly £1500 doesn't go very far....

In five years time you'll be upgrading your body anyway to one that is most suitable for you then so in the mean time I'd find a system rather than a body and pick a body in your price range from that system. Whatever you pick will be fine to learn with.

Oh yeah and what he says too :)

Hi,

That sounds logical. The only problem is if i go for the 5D (full frame) , and then i will have to buy all new lenses then.

I think im going to look into the 5D more and look at what deals i can get on lenses and stuff like that. Dont want to have to rebuy all the lenses in the future then.

Cheers

Matt

most canon lenses are full frame anyway. only the ef-s lenses arent. also remember full frame at the moment will require the top end glass to get the best from it

All you need to think about really is what 'system' you want to buy into as in five years time technology will be moved on quite a lot i'd imagine.........!

For a pro i still think there are only two systems to look at, Canon & Nikon. Go and handle some at a local store and see what you think.....

I would start off with something like a canon 20d, 30d, 40d, with a few lenses. Get use to doing some studio photography with friends, try to be a second photographer at a few weddings, and then buy your expensive kit when you need it. :)

How about this for an idea:
Get the 5D - it is a very good body
Then pick up a 50mm F1.4 & an 85mm F1.8 - these are your portrait & wedding breadwinners. You will probably want a zoom too, the 24-105F4 L is a fine piece of glass and if you buy carefully you could still have money left from your £1500 to buy yourself a 430EX flashgun. edit: actually, you won't have the money to buy a flashgun if you get the 24-105 unless you get good deals on everything used

The best bit is most if not all of that kit you will still be able to use in a few years when you are looking to start earning money.

Can I suggest walking before you run. Any SLR you buy today is unlikely to be the one you're using for your 5 year plan anyway.

Plus you might find you're useless at portraits and weddings and excellent at sport or landscape. Buy for where you are now is my advice.

:agree:

most if not all modern dslr's will give great results in capable hands

Can I suggest walking before you run. Any SLR you buy today is unlikely to be the one you're using for your 5 year plan anyway.

Plus you might find you're useless at portraits and weddings and excellent at sport or landscape. Buy for where you are now is my advice.

i agree (though not being a photographer im no expert). wouldnt it make more sense to get a cheaper body to learn your way round the system you choose then spend more on better lenses, rather than shooting (excuse the pun) for the most expensive camera and thinking about lenses after? Like a 450d or 40d type for the body and high end glass?

Back