Which teleconverter for Sigma 120-300mm?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, have just ordered my sigma 120-300mm 2.8 EX DG HSM for nikon d40x and need to order a teleconverter for it.

i have read that there are compatibility issues between certain brands resulting in loss of auto focus, design, etc

so the question is do i opt for the more expensive nikon 1.4x/2.0x tc's or is there a suitable alternative without compromising anything?

Cheers, Ian

You will have to use the latest nikon versions to retain autofocus, as the D40x has no internal motor. They do come with a price tag of almost £300 though. :)

oh really? so even though the sigma hsm lens motor is compatible with the d40x, a sigma tc wouldnt relay the AF signal? that's a bit crafty :( i seriously never would have bought a d40x if someone (ie a salesman with half a brain) had told me that it had no internal drive motor. now its a case of deciding when to bite the bullet and upgrade to a better body so that i can use my lenses properly...grr

Ian I got my 120-300 last Friday what a cracker I am not disappointed with it as for TC's well I don't use em but it must be galling for you.

Bill

oh really? so even though the sigma hsm lens motor is compatible with the d40x, a sigma tc wouldnt relay the AF signal? that's a bit crafty :( i seriously never would have bought a d40x if someone (ie a salesman with half a brain) had told me that it had no internal drive motor. now its a case of deciding when to bite the bullet and upgrade to a better body so that i can use my lenses properly...grr

I've heard nothing official about it, but have read many things that suggest this. Although on second thoughts, i seem to remember Messiah Khan using a 300mm f/2.8 HSM with a sigma TC on a D40x

I've heard nothing official about it, but have read many things that suggest this. Although on second thoughts, i seem to remember Messiah Khan using a 300mm f/2.8 HSM with a sigma TC on a D40x

Logically, I cant see why that would be a problem. Its an HSM lens which means the focus motor in the lens is used. Therefore it should be absolutely no problem for the AF to work if a TC is fitted. If it was a screw-driven lens then there could be a problem.

Logically, I cant see why that would be a problem. Its an HSM lens which means the focus motor in the lens is used. Therefore it should be absolutely no problem for the AF to work if a TC is fitted. If it was a screw-driven lens then there could be a problem.

yep thats what i was thinking. on the sigma chart it says that both 1.4x and 2.0x are compatible with this lens, which would mean no HSM loss. As far as the d40x would be concerned, it would think it was attached to a normal sigma HSM lens.

thanks for your responses guys! and kevshore: was it a d40x you were using with that setup?

As stated before in several threads...... "Sigma lens - Sigma TC, no question" IQ will be great - have fun.

Already mentioned it in the PM to you AussieD40X, but for the benefit of others;

Sigma TCs work perfectly fine with the Nikon D40X and Sigma HSM lenses. They also seem to work perfectly fine on Nikon AF-S lenses. Kenko TCs work perfectly fine on the D40X with Nikon AF-S lenses, but DO NOT work with Sigma HSM lenses. They cause the camera to crash when you try. I emailed the distributers of Kenko when I came across this problem, who responded saying it was a known about problem with no fix. Nice of them not to mention this in the advertisement. So as already mentioned; Sigma lens = Sigma TC. (y)

haha no probs mate ;) thanks all for your help - should get these for the end of week when i finally return home for the first time since 2nd of jan - 37 consecutive 12 hr days sleeping in a portacabin in a field - FREEEDOMMM!

Back