Which TP member will be first ( No Pic )

Yay! Where abouts in herefordshire???

I loveeee big cats... we have several here in North Norfolk. there are two in my village somewhere too...

Last edited:
Why is it these sightings never seem to be made my anyone who can capture a clear image. Amazed they managed to get that still from the video, the damn opening animation lasted longer than the footage.

My thoughts exactly and how the hell can you tell the size from something that is wavering about all over the screen :shrug:

Story published on December 17, 2009

Not like it happened yesterday though according to the date.

Sister lives on Herefordshire/welsh border. There definiately were big cats around in the area quite a few years ago though. One of them is or was in Ludlow museum after it was run over and killed. That one is thought to be an Indian swamp cat. it also bred with a local Ferral cat, My sister fed one of the kittens but it never became very tame. It grew to be about the size of a scottish wild cat but was slimmer on the front with tufted ears, big powerfull hind legs, rabbit coloured tabby. It only lived to about two years old, it was shot while it was picking off lambs and we presume died of lead poisoning as it was seen with injuries then never seen again. She was heartbroken but I suspect a few farmers were very pleased.

I encountered a 'big cat' about 7 years ago about a mile from where I live.

My eldest daughter was about 3 years old and we were out walking around the tracks in the fields (with her in the buggy) when my wife just said look at that !

I turned around and about twenty yards from us in the edge of the field was a very large black cat. There was nothing spooky or amazing - just utter confusion as to why this thing should be where it was. It stood and watched us for about fifteen seconds then just calmly turned and sloped off into the grass.

When I saw it stood there - I noted that it's full length (nose to tail) was longer than the gaps between the fenceposts which it was the other side of. I then checked the distance between the fenceposts which were just over 6 feet apart.

I thought folk in our village would take the proverbial out of me when I told them about it but most people (especially the farming / gamekeeping community) knew all about it any many had also seen it.

When I read up about it and looked at various websites - it seems to have been a common sighting albeit over a very large area.

I encountered a 'big cat' about 7 years ago about a mile from where I live.

My eldest daughter was about 3 years old and we were out walking around the tracks in the fields (with her in the buggy) when my wife just said look at that !

I turned around and about twenty yards from us in the edge of the field was a very large black cat. There was nothing spooky or amazing - just utter confusion as to why this thing should be where it was. It stood and watched us for about fifteen seconds then just calmly turned and sloped off into the grass.

When I saw it stood there - I noted that it's full length (nose to tail) was longer than the gaps between the fenceposts which it was the other side of. I then checked the distance between the fenceposts which were just over 6 feet apart.

I thought folk in our village would take the proverbial out of me when I told them about it but most people (especially the farming / gamekeeping community) knew all about it any many had also seen it.

When I read up about it and looked at various websites - it seems to have been a common sighting albeit over a very large area.

30 years ago I encountered one in Carron Valley Forest, Stirlingshire.
Puma I reckon. It made off. I think that was around the time when licences to keep exotic pets was introduced and folk who had no chance of getting a licence dumped them.
Black panthers could be the most likely to be around. They are exceptionally secretive.

Black panthers could be the most likely to be around. They are exceptionally secretive.

Random fact, there is actually no such thing as a panther - they are simply melanistic versions of jaguars or leopards.

Random fact, there is actually no such thing as a panther - they are simply melanistic versions of jaguars or leopards.

Yes, often referred to as black leopards. Panther will do me, though.

Yep - melanistic leopard - that's what this particular cat is believed to be.

Back