Which Tripod?

P-E

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Well its been asked before so apologies for the question again but here goes....

At present I own 2 cheap tripods and a Manfrotto 055PRO.

I have to admit I am one of those guys that finds it difficult to venture out with a tripod.......infact to date I haven't :eyesup:

The two problems I have are......

(A) Tripod Weight
(B) The awkward feeling using one in view of the public (I know I shouldn't feel like that but I do).

I find the 055PRO on the heavy side (I do a lot of walking) so I am looking at the carbon fibre Gitzo/Manfrotto range with view to purchasing.

Any recommendations?......budget £250.00 approx (plus will need a head).

Must be lighter than the 055PRO and sturdy enough to handle the 1D MKII.

I know it will be expensive but if I can sort the weight issue out then it's down to me to combat my fear of using it in public.

Cheers Ian.

I'm heaving the same problem. I was thinking of getting the 055pro to take my 10D with batt grip and sigma 50-500 my sherpa600 is not really upto the task.

Glad I'm not alone tommy.

Happy birthday to you.

might be worth having a look at the manfrotto 190 carbon fibre ones, they do a 3 section and a 4 section, they both felt good when i tried them, but i decieded for me the aluminium one was fine. also the velbons for about £150 inc head are very light and sturdy.

Not really considered the Velbon range.......will have a look though.

Looking at the Gitzo range I think my budget will have to be increased.........although as I'm a Nikon member I think I can get some sort of discount.

I have a Velbon CF530 carbon fibre tripod, it's a three section version so folds down to a small size while still extending to almost five foot when fully extended. Its fairly light although as the main knuckles at the top are made from steel it could be made lighter if they had used more hi-tech material in this area of construction. It’s very versatile with having twist grip leg lock and each leg will fold out independently to almost any angle. Stability wise, it is very good, I have used it in all weather and quite strong winds and never had to worry about the results obtained or feared it being unstable.

Cost wise I managed to pick it up for £135 including a decent head from Warehouse Express when they had a special offer running.

Just had a quick look at the Velbon range.

Seem very well priced.

I'm trying to figure out the weight difference now in real world terms.

My Manfrotto (I think) is 2.4 kg so I'm wondering if there will be a noticable difference with a carbon one.

Would be nice to visit my local stockist to check the full range out but I know thats not possible.

Remember that if you order via the web and don't think it is suitable when it arrives, you have the distance selling act to back you up and returning it should not be a problem, especially if you use a reputable retailer.

P-E said:
Glad I'm not alone tommy.

Happy birthday to you.

Well thank you kindly sir.

I have the Velbon Sherpa 600n. It is a very good tripod and very adjustable but just not man enough for the Canon 10D with battery grip 2 batteries and the sigma 50-500 imo I can see slight movement when taking pictures @ the long end and have to use mirror lockup. Any suggestions welcome.

P-E said:
I'm trying to figure out the weight difference now in real world terms.
Very little I would think. If you are looking to get the same sort of stability and height as the 055PRO then you will probably only save 10-20% in weight with CF which is pretty negligible. Better off buying a carrying strap or decent backpack to lug around what you have. You could always remove the centre column to save a little weight.

I would think given the number of times you are likely to use it, being very presumptious here, then you would be better off spending the money elsewhere. Obviously if you are buying from scratch then its a different ballgame.

Joe T said:
How about the CF version of the 055PRO?

Yes it's an option Joe.

The Velbon range looks quite good with the CF530 PRO on at £124.00.

Just don't want to buy one and then use the easy excuse of "it's to heavy to take out".

Steve said:
I have a Velbon CF530 carbon fibre tripod, it's a three section version so folds down to a small size while still extending to almost five foot when fully extended. Its fairly light although as the main knuckles at the top are made from steel it could be made lighter if they had used more hi-tech material in this area of construction. It’s very versatile with having twist grip leg lock and each leg will fold out independently to almost any angle. Stability wise, it is very good, I have used it in all weather and quite strong winds and never had to worry about the results obtained or feared it being unstable.

Cost wise I managed to pick it up for £135 including a decent head from Warehouse Express when they had a special offer running.

124.99 now, on special offer according to the WHE flyer that landed on my doormat this morning :thumb:

I have an issued Gitzo Carbon tripod which is very nice but very susceptible to sand and dust ingress to the joints causing it to jam quite badly.

I use my own (old) alloy Gitzo Reporter which I've had for about 25 years - still going strong. Bomb-proof in fact.

Marcel said:
124.99 now, on special offer according to the WHE flyer that landed on my doormat this morning :thumb:

For that money its a no brainer in my opinion, especially for anyone that is looking for a good quality, light tripod that doesn't cost the earth. If you are used to the cheap Velbon jobbies that you see in Jessops or get for £35 you will be very suprised in the quality and how rigid the CF530 is once you use it.

Steve said:
For that money its a no brainer in my opinion, especially for anyone that is looking for a good quality, light tripod that doesn't cost the earth. If you are used to the cheap Velbon jobbies that you see in Jessops or get for £35 you will be very suprised in the quality and how rigid the CF530 is once you use it.

Manfrotto 055PRO (I have) 2.4kg
Velbon CF 530 PRO 1.4kg

The weight is still the issue for me but doubt I will get less than the Velbon one for weight and still be stable.

Back