Critique Whitby Abbey

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
A different take on an old favourite. I have got a few from the other side of the pond where the tripod holes are in the ground,;) but wanted another angle. Your thoughts appreciated.

The weak point is the blown out sky; the strong point is the play of light and shade in the foreground.

On that basis, I suggest a more or less square crop. Take off all the sky, and crop to remove the two small windows above the arches on the left; then crop on the right hand side to just shave off the sky. Then see what you think of the result.

very good idea but as stated by others, the burnt out area is hugely distracting.

Thanks all for the input, I guess the sky is the problem here then. I'd kind of got used to it and thought of it as a necessary part of the image. I guess that's why it's good to post these things to get a completely unbiased viewpoint.

Take off all the sky, and crop to remove the two small windows above the arches on the left; then crop on the right hand side to just shave off the sky. Then see what you think of the result.

It would solve the blown sky dilemma, but I also think the shot will completely lose its identity. I think if I were going down this road I would be cropping right down tight to below the lowest windows, to make the light on the ground the main subject. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Back