Whitby Pano

Jo

Name
Jo Fisher
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not 100% happy with these, but thought I would share anyway. I'm happy to listen to any constructive criticism you may have :)

I've done both colour and B&W versions, which I can't make up my mind over :LOL:

You can click both for larger versions ;)

Jo
xxx

Last edited:
I much prefer the B&W version, but am unsure about the large expanse of empty water. Shame there wasn't a boat heading out to sea when you shot it.

I'm not sure either.
I think its the patchyness, dark bands and distortion.
I'm gonna guess the frames are too wide, and the dark bands/patchyness is vignetting of individual frames.
Pano's are always gonna have distortion if we spin 180 degrees on the spot, its just not how the eye sees the world, nothing you can do about that, an already distorted wide just adds to it.
I'm not an expert on pano's but mine have looked better with a more tele lens in portrait orientation, or maybe the distortion is less noticeable even with the wide if its shot in portrait.
If I remember rightly, the dark banding isn't always vignetting, sometimes its an exposure issue, maybe there are better blending apps around, I dunno.

:)

I think John has hit it on the head there.
Portrait with a short tele does seem to do the business !!!!!
C

I do not think the program you are using is doing this shot full justice .
It would be better to use a projection in PTAssembler like Recti perspective, this keeps all radial lines straight. also the blender in your program has done a poor Job in the sky.

This shot is a totally different subject but shows how the Recti perspective projection keeps many vital lines either straight or much straighter.
The Smartblend blender used in PTAssembler also makes an excellent job of blending difficult subjects.

The very latest version is available here http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr_51b2.zip
You would need to register it after 30 days http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr.htm

sitepan-web.jpg

Thanks for your comments people, much appreciated. Yes I was aware it was a lot less than perfect :LOL: I did blend it all myself though, no stitching software was used. I also did it whilst quite tired (I never learn :LOL:).

Thanks for that link Terry, I shall go and have a go with that now ;)

I would never have attempted to do that by hand... You did an excellent job of it in that case. :clap:

for a hand stiched job it's done very well. I like the exposure but, did you have a cpl on?

No CPL, I don't own one. But I did use a ND grad that I got off ebay for £6 :LOL: It's a cheapo copy made of plastic, but I gave it a go. In fact almost all of my landscape stuff from our hols were done using it.

Thanks for the hand stitching admiration, but it clearly didn't work that well :LOL:

I had a go with that program Terry but it kept giving me 190MB files that I just could work with. I'll have another go later maybe.

Jo, what processing software are you using ? Because if it's Photoshop you can add extra ram (Ithink it is) from your HD to help processing speed.
Someone in the computer section should be able to tell you, you can tell I get someone in to sort mine out .
By the way I think the reason some thought a polariser had been used is the extreme width of the pic. The light appears to me to change too much from left to right (bright sunlit areas to shadow)
The stitching on the large pics looks OK.
C

No CPL, I don't own one. But I did use a ND grad that I got off ebay for £6 :LOL: It's a cheapo copy made of plastic, but I gave it a go. In fact almost all of my landscape stuff from our hols were done using it.

Thanks for the hand stitching admiration, but it clearly didn't work that well :LOL:

I had a go with that program Terry but it kept giving me 190MB files that I just could work with. I'll have another go later maybe.

You can set the size of the output file on Tab step 5
You can set the file output type to single layer Jpg just below that.

This will give you smaller files. :)

Of course Pans produce native files much larger than each single component.

If you get into panoramas you will probably want larger files, Larger hard discs and more memory. But you can start with what ever you have ... it just takes longer. ;)

I like the colour version and well done on the hand stitching, I never get them remotely right.

Andy

Good pair Jo, I think my preference is far the B&W version, difficult to capture the essence of Whitby, but you have managed it well here.
I'd consider trying to dodge in a bit of shadow detail into the buildings an the right side of the harbour (B&W version)

Back