White balance in studio

Edit My Images
Yes
hi

I am just after a bit of advice on camera set up when I am using my studion lights indoors.

I try to keep most settings apart from the f stop pretty constant

iso 100
shutter 125th
f stop dependant on ligtingh set-up

My question is, what wb should I use on the camera, somebody once told me to put it on sunny??

I shoot in raw and then change the WB in lightroom or bridge afterwards from a grey card photo taken whenever I change the lights.

stringy

I think that if you shoot RAW, WB is ignored
it's only applied to JPEGs

using a grey/white card is the best way

IMHO

:agree:

If you're taking a reference shot, or using an Expo as I do, then that's your best bet for getting it right

Even most studio flash isn't the same temp as your camera's flash setting in my experience, and you need to check/recheck often too

Once confident it's set though & your exposure is right, raw is unnecessary IMO - so I shoot fine (largest) jpeg

(y)

DD

If shooting in jpeg it's better to set a custom white balance, unless your camera can be set to a specific colour temperature, e.g. 5500K.

Problem is, the 'correct' colour temperature isn't necessarily the one that's most pleasing if you're photographing people - you may want it to be a bit warmer than 'correct'

If shooting in jpeg it's better to set a custom white balance, unless your camera can be set to a specific colour temperature, e.g. 5500K.

Problem is, the 'correct' colour temperature isn't necessarily the one that's most pleasing if you're photographing people - you may want it to be a bit warmer than 'correct'

You may well 'warm' them up a bit, but methinks it's best to capture it neutral and adjust later, than shoot warm and decide to cool later - that's why/how I shoot with the Expo :)

There's a 'studio' close to use that shoots, what can only be described as, 'Orange' people :LOL:

DD

You may well 'warm' them up a bit, but methinks it's best to capture it neutral and adjust later, than shoot warm and decide to cool later - that's why/how I shoot with the Expo :)

There's a 'studio' close to use that shoots, what can only be described as, 'Orange' people :LOL:

DD

Completely off topic but...

I once had a shoot here and the model showed up literally bright orange, she'd covered herslelf in fake suntan that didn't agree with her;)
She said it didn't matter because I could put it right in PS, wasn't happy when I sent her home instead...

Your comment is right of course, it's just that a lot of people develop a style that relies on a slightly warm colour balance, in that situation it might suit them to have the colour temp 'off' by a consistent amount to suit them rather than adjust it later. Fuji pretty well built a business and a reputation for 'good' skin tones by having their cameras produce 'warm' tones.

what can only be described as, 'Orange' people :LOL:DD
SpeakOutDavidDickinson.jpg

I don't think this is correct, my 50D images change with different white balance settings and I shoot RAW

Raw files have WB tagged to them to show you the effect, and of course you often keep it as is anyway, but the WB is not set at that point in the same way it is with a jpeg so you are free to play about as much as you like

At the time of recording a jpeg's image has the WB set and it can't be changed

I presume that's what was meant by the post you answered :)

DD

Yes, I do know it can be changed afterwards :) but it is often useful to fiddle with the white balance whilst actually taking the pictures, especially flowers to get as close a match (on the back of the screen) as possible. No, I don't use a white or grey card, keep forgetting to put one in my camera bag :D

But what you're seeing is the camera's own jpeg image to show would it would be like at that setting, the raw file is still unaffected however much you fiddle about

If it works for you though that's fine :)

DD

But what you're seeing is the camera's own jpeg image to show would it would be like at that setting, the raw file is still unaffected however much you fiddle about

If it works for you though that's fine :)

DD

Do you mean that the image on the back is the camera's jpeg representation even though you are shooting raw?

Do you mean that the image on the back is the camera's jpeg representation even though you are shooting raw?

Yup

'raw' data is just that - it needs processing to show an image even on the back of the camera

DD

Back