White balance

Either it can be done with the camera at the time of taking photos (depends on whether the camera model has it as a feature), or in postprocessing with software.

Which camera do you have?
What software do you have?

most cameras are fairly decent at getting it ok for the most part.

Under decent light its not very often I even touch ours unless i'm looking for a specific look.

Lightroom 5 allows total control for just one, thats what we use for the most part

Do you shoot in RAW?

If you shoot in RAW it actually doesn't matter when you take the photo. If you do NOT shoot in RAW, then it's far more important to shoot with the correct white balance.

Also.. what software are you using?

Last edited:
For me, I normally use the auto white balance settings on my camera... most times, it's pretty much spot on. But if I'm doing a shoot, I'll leave it on auto, but always shoot an 18% grey card as well with every lighting change. I shoot in raw so that in post, I can make any adjustments that I need to with the shot with the grey card in it. Having said that, sometimes that doesn't even look quite right and may only use it as a starting point.

A grey card will get it bang on (assuming you're using a proper grey card, and not just any old grey card :)). If not, then it's probably down to mixed light sources in the scene, not the method.

As above. You can use auto white balance if it works for you, but I don't have much confidence in it. Alternatively, you can set it before you shoot, if you trust your interpretation of the light temperature, or set a custom white balance. That's probably the best solution if you want to do everything before you shoot.

The easiest way is to shoot raw and adjust it in post processing though.

Last edited:
Nikon have got auto white balance quite well sorted to be honest.

IMHO The only time you need to mess with it is when you have abnormal artificial light - sodium in particular. Normal daylight outdoors conditions or even with flash, it handles it pretty damned well.

If you are really unsure and want to easily correct it afterwards, RAW is the way forward - in fact dodgy lighting is the only time I use the extra safetynet.

Post #10 shows how to set the WB in your camera.
If you want to change it in View NX2 just get the picture in the edit window, to the right you have the adjustments area, the first adjustment is Exposure Comp. the second is White Balance. If they are not showing just click on the triangle next to the word Adjustments. The White Balance should be showing as Recorded Value, click on the down arrow next to that and a drop down list will appear showing all the WB options. Pick the one you want and then make fine adjustments using the Fine Adjustment slider :)

Back