White Specs on negatives

Fp4. Weirdly I just did another roll, this time delta 400, and it appears fine. I could see the specs without scanning and this time I can’t. This time though I used rodinal 1:100 semi stand. Before I used ilfotec hc 1:31 for 6:30. The ilfotec is old (ish) and has sat under my desk since last year

I have had this a few times I think it's contamination from the backing paper, not sure if the film was left in a damp environment prior to processing.

I have had this a few times I think it's contamination from the backing paper, not sure if the film was left in a damp environment prior to processing.
Oh right ok. Not that I can think of. Was kept in the same conditions as the roll that turned out of.
I think someone before had could be the fixer and it never happened again, maybe a dodgy roll then

White spots on a negative suggests decreased contact with developer e.g. air bubbles.

But if the example image above is the positive scan aren't they dark spots on the negative?

Dark spots imply too much development e.g. crystals of developer in contact with film.

White spots on a negative suggests decreased contact with developer e.g. air bubbles.

But if the example image above is the positive scan aren't they dark spots on the negative?

Dark spots imply too much development e.g. crystals of developer in contact with film.
Yes true on the actual negative, to the eye they appear as black.
that’s strange, I developed it as I normally would. Maybe the developer has had it?

Yes true on the actual negative, to the eye they appear as black.
that’s strange, I developed it as I normally would. Maybe the developer has had it?
Could it have crystallized in storage?

Ilford have sometimes had some batch weirdness, haven't they? Might be worth getting in touch... but a response could be slow!

Ilford have sometimes had some batch weirdness, haven't they? Might be worth getting in touch... but a response could be slow!
I would but I’ve used the developer before. It had sat for maybe...6 months since the last time I’d used it. I’ve taken a 3rd test roll today so tonight I’ve develop the same way I did with the roll that went wrong. If the same thing happens just have to assume the developer is gone and use the rodinal I’ve got

I would but I’ve used the developer before. It had sat for maybe...6 months since the last time I’d used it. I’ve taken a 3rd test roll today so tonight I’ve develop the same way I did with the roll that went wrong. If the same thing happens just have to assume the developer is gone and use the rodinal I’ve got

At the risk of ruining a couple of frames, I would be tempted to cut the roll in two and dev one half in each developer to see if the problem shows itself on both halves.

If it does then clearly the problem isn’t with the developer but elsewhere ( film itself possibly)

Yea I think I will, the test roll today I don’t care about so probably do that.

Back