Who Said London is Urban?

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these today after finally finding a nature reserve just a 5 minute drive away from home, the details of which I had stumbled over whilst googling something else. Having mentioned it to various people that have lived in the neighbourhood for years and been met with blank faces, it seems it isn't very well known.

Basically its woodland with a mix of native and introduced species, a stream, Folly Brook and a pond. Surrounded by agricultural land its hard to believe this place is still London. Now ok I know its a weekday, but we walked round its entire perimeter [about 1 1/2 hours] and didn't see a soul around, it was just blissfully peaceful. I do plan on returning to get some better shots which will go up for c&c, but for now, grabbed whilst managing two tugging terriers, I give you Darlands Nature Reserve.

4005135059_686b4b722b_o.jpg

4005136299_2e395f4e2f_o.jpg

4005901252_12e9bd52de_o.jpg

and finally, just playing with mono, the 'village green' where we left the car

4006015518_87e1d70ef8_o.jpg

That looks a great place to explore, lose yourself in and get some great photo opps Yv... (y)

That's in Barnet isn't it... :shrug: ...used to drive past it on my way into the borough a while back... :D

:p

Yep, owned by Barnet Council. There is plenty of woodland and open space in the borough and the neighbouring Enfield but all are very well known with loads of people around, so I was very taken with how quiet this place is. The only way vehicles can get near is tractor/4x4 across the farmland, so I think part of the reason is the longer walk to get to it than most Londoners are used to ;)

How exactly did you get there Yv?

I'm in Whetstone and have been meaning to go there. I actually drove to the pond in your pic on Saturday, the one behind totteridge green, just to see what it's like and see if I could see the path.

I ended up going to the ellern Mede farm shop on totteridge lane and then for a walk around totteridge fields

ahaaaa, another Whetstonian!

OK, where I am obviously stood in the pond pic, take a right from there and go down the path that leads down to Totteridge fields, signposted 'walks 7' amongst others. Go through a couple of fields and stiles until you come to, iirc, the 3rd one, beyond which point the path splits 3 ways and a sign on the gate says Darlands right. [I think the other two head into the fields and down to the garden centre] Take the rhd path, it gets a bit scrubby and more wild, but dont worry. The path then veers sharply left and you head through the woods, keep following it until you reach a T-Junction. If you look left you will see one of those maps on a wooden 'table' board, walk past it and 2 minutes later you reach Darlands pond and bridge over the brook.

From there, we headed along the left fork round the pond and walked round in a big circle just following the obvious path, eventually ending up on a wider path that heads back uphill,coming back out on Totteridge lane about 50yrs down from The Orange Tree [currently close btw, looks like they are getting yet another make-over]

TBH, The pond itself isnt very exciting, but the woods are just beautiful.

Edit: for info, the wildlife we glimpsed, even with 2 jack russells in tow, included squidgers, chaffinch, goldfinch, parakeets, wrens, robins, rabbits, as well as the usual mass of wood pigeons and crows. I suspect that without dogs, there is plenty to go at photographically. Oh yes, and several types of interesting loking fungi.

These are magnificent Yvonne ... Sandra just said, "How picturesque" ... she will be in London during April / May but perhaps it would not be safe for her to go meandering alone in there without the protection of a couple of Jacks! :) (Russells, not Rippers!) :cautious:

I'm surprised people in your neighbourhood haven't heard of Darlands.
I've quite often met locals when I've been there with my camera and dog.
There a few nature reserves dotted around North London, Coppetts Wood and Glebelands, Fryent Country Park, Brent Reservoir all within a stones throw of Whetstone.

Last edited:
OK, where I am obviously stood in the pond pic, take a right from there and go down the path that leads down to Totteridge fields, signposted 'walks 7' amongst others. Go through a couple of fields and stiles until you come to, iirc, the 3rd one, beyond which point the path splits 3 ways and a sign on the gate says Darlands right. [I think the other two head into the fields and down to the garden centre] Take the rhd path, it gets a bit scrubby and more wild, but dont worry. The path then veers sharply left and you head through the woods, keep following it until you reach a T-Junction. If you look left you will see one of those maps on a wooden 'table' board, walk past it and 2 minutes later you reach Darlands pond and bridge over the brook.

Fantastic, thanks very much. I think I may head up there this weekend then, weather depending

The Orange Tree [currently close btw, looks like they are getting yet another make-over]

Again?! I wonder if it will become a pub again? (Or still the same pretentious Totteridgean overpriced gastropub as before.... the pub bit of it is tiny)

for info, the wildlife we glimpsed, even with 2 jack russells in tow, included squidgers, chaffinch, goldfinch, parakeets, wrens, robins, rabbits, as well as the usual mass of wood pigeons and crows. I suspect that without dogs, there is plenty to go at photographically. Oh yes, and several types of interesting loking fungi.

Excellent. I was hoping to see some wildlife, I'll take the bins too. I have a black lab pup so he'll be with me, doubt I'll see anything too exciting - haven't seen parakeets in this area before. I think I saw some last week in Forty Hall though

I'm surprised people in your neighbourhood haven't heard of Darlands.
I've quite often met locals when I've been there with my camera and dog.
There a few nature reserves dotted around North London, Coppetts Wood and Glebelands, Fryent Country Park, Brent Reservoir all within a stones throw of Whetstone.

Agreed, lots of them, add in Oakhill too, but it seems my neighbors/friends know of totteridge fields but not the reserve bit. Mind you, MY neighbours are the sort that will travel too Berkhampstead for a walk and lunch because the Orange Tree just isn't pretensious enough :bonk: So, not surprised I can find more people here that know the place than I can on the street outside.

ben, yep the parakeets have made it this far now

Congrats on the pics

did you add sunlight beams on #1?

If not, how did you capture?

nope pretty much as shot, just used a little fill light in ACR to lift the shadows a bit. Shot by lining it up with sun behind tree trunk, then moved little by little until the sun just peeping out, rather than full blown sun.

Superb set that! You really don't have to go far to get great pics.

Back