Who was the first?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
To produce a digital camera, what was the first consumor camera? just out of intrest just to see how far back they do go. :)

For some reason Kodak comes to mind but dont quote me on that.

Image118.jpg

dycam model 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_camera according to the wiki artical :)

To produce a digital camera, what was the first consumor camera? just out of intrest just to see how far back they do go. :)

Dude. You gotta be careful when asking such questions. Before you know it, you're gonna get patronising posters coming on lecturing you on how amazed they are you dont know the answer to this. :thumbsdown:

Then they will demand and you have a basic undestanding of importance of Leica to the history of digital camera. They will be "amazed and shocked" if you have never heard of Leica :nuts:

Funnily enough I do know what a Leica is! And if I knew the answer about digital cameras then I wouldn't have asked the question!

That was my experience.

But anyway, back on topic.

Kodak with this thing back in 1975.

firstkodak.jpg

stevesasson.jpg

First Consumer Digital Camera was the Fuji DS-1P back in 1988

34072-fuji_ds-1p.jpg

Leica's contribution to the evolution of digital photography can be written on a single pixel. In large felt tip pen.

Not sure about the first digital camera, but the first non-film camera was the Sony Mavica (MAgnetic VIdeo CAmera) which was given a largely unenthusiastic reception in 1982. Image quality did not worry any of the film manufacturers for many years after that.

The first professional digital camera was the Kodak DC1.Introduced in 1991, if memory serves, based on a Nikon F3 body .It had a shoulder pack that carried the battery and storage system. Not the lightest bit of kit around

Although Sony had the Movica camera several years earlier. It was more an analogue system based on a TV style raster image.

So in terms of SLR... I think I remeber it being Kodak... It's kind of funny as did they not produce the first mass market film cameras and film???

I remeber the digital transition well as when I moved from pentax to canon I bought an EOS3 which was a film camera... the salesman and all my mates could not understand why I did not want to jump onto digital but at that time... to me I was just not getting my moneys worth with digital.... A year ago when I got the EOS5d Mk1 literally a few months before the introduction of the MKII I think it was a great time to buy... also just before the current price hike!

Im interested to know other film peoples transition storys.... just thought about that... might make it a seperate post!

As for who built up their collection first I think if I remeber Canon where first as Nickon went on the Kodak colaboration... and how random was that anyway??? Where are Kodac SLR's now???

M

Back