why are we never satisfied?

Edit My Images
Yes
Having just taken delivery of my beautiful Nikon 80-200 2.8 - which I swore to my other half would be my last big purchase - why do I find myself looking for something else, something with a little longer reach, like maybe up to 400mm or even 500mm?? Why can't I just be happy with what I've got? Does anyone else suffer from the same problem????

All the freakin' time. We want the best. I don't see this to be a problem until we lose sight of the difference between 'want' and 'need'.

:plus1:

I don`t really need any more stuff, but I want more stuff

I've become very anti kit in the last year or so but I claim no moral high ground as I think I may have owned half the camera gear in the world at one point. :LOL:

It's so so easy to get sucked into coveting more and more goodies. When we see images that really speak to us that use stuff we don't have. Or when we get that fab endorphin release from sparkly toys. It drives us to wanting the things we don't have.

I've got shot of quite a few systems over the last few years and I still have tons of the bloomin stuff around. Although I can (mostly) justify a business need for all of it now. Having not bought anything new for about two years (except my £9 agfa clack) I might just turn tail and have a bit of a splurge later this year on a large format kit. ;)

i find myself wanting all the time, though my list of wants is starting to shrink a bit now, but i still keep adding to it hehe.

I've become very anti kit in the last year or so

Me too(y)

I started off in June last year with a 400D and kit lens and 8 months later all I've got is..........oh...........hang on:thinking:

Er....just forget I said anything:whistle:

I stated about 18 months ago with a 400D and kit lens I thought Yep that'll do f' me (y)
Then I though well a bit of macro won't go a miss so I added a 100mm macro lens, that'll do f' me (y)
Then I thought well a little extra reach will do so I got a 100-300mm and thought that'll do f' me (y)
Then I though actually maybe a better lens would be better
so I got a 70-200L IS and the Mrs SAID THAT'LL do f' YOU So I guess thats me sorted :( :D
I just didn't tell her about anything else I bought
keeps me in on peice and outta the dog house. That'll do f' me (y) :D

I have a list, however after a couple more purchases I think my main investments will be done for a few years.

I just didn't tell her about anything else I bought

Likewise.....
I think I've reached the stage where it'd be safer for her to walk in and find me prancing around in her
silk frillies ( :naughty: ) than having all the gear spread out on the dining room table. :D

Bob

Mental note....don't post anything in the "What do you all look like" thread.

I'm the same! But its 100x worse for me because I work in a camera shop!
I have to demonstrate wonderful Canon and Nikon gear all day, and then watch, sobbing, as people walk away with a 40d, 24-70, 10-20, 70-200, manfrotto 190, lowepro mini trekker, 2 extreme IV 4gb, and a big dent in their wallet (which actually relieves me a bit :p).

-I started off with just the Camera, which I got in August.
-By my birthday in early september, I wanted a telephoto and a film SLR- Sigma 70-300 and a Canon EOS 1000fn.
-Then I wanted a bag to hold it all - a big old Canon holdall.
-Then, for christmas, I wanted a fisheye - Peleng 8mm
-Then, for when I went to the alps, I wanted a wide angle lens, since the Peleng would be too wide and distorty - Sigma 10-20
-Then, for doing extreme sports and various other things, I wanted an off camera lighting set up - Elinchrom Skyports, cables, bits, bobs, and a Canon 430ex

It doesn't help that I'm not wanting to replace the sub-par kit lens and telephoto lens I have at the moment with the Sigma 24-70 and Canon 70-200L, and it doesn't help that I'm wanting to replace my 350D with something better, and that I can get the 40D for £420 brand new after staff discount and cashback. :(

Same for me, nikon D80 august last year, mmm would really like a 24-70mm lens for walkabout, then last month D300, then nikon 18-200mm vr walkabout, thats just to mention a few things i,ve bought since january, the thing is i wish i would put to use the great kit i have, instead of wanting more, now i,m hankering after the nikon 105mm micro vr, it,s just never ending,when really the thing i need most is more practice in the field to put it all to good use and gain more knowledge,and start to produce some bloody good photos :bang:

I know the feeling. Just bought a 400D and a Sigma 70-300 DG APO lens a month ago and am already seriously looking at a 5D and an EF 24-105 F/4 L lens. :love:

I am hopelessly addicted to this photography stuff and see myself doing it for a long time to come. I know there will be no hope left when I start ebaying all my old audio gear (synthesizers, monitors, outboard processors) to afford a camera and lens. :shrug:

Likewise.....
I think I've reached the stage where it'd be safer for her to walk in and find me prancing around in her
silk frillies ( :naughty: ) than having all the gear spread out on the dining room table. :D

Bob

Doesn't work Bob trust me on this :D

I'm the same! But its 100x worse for me because I work in a camera shop!

Oh thats bad luck but at least you get to feel all the goodies :D

I am suffering from the desire to swtich manufacturer. Explain that one to the missus. I keep telling her that Olympus can fulfill my needs more thoroughly. We havnt spoken since.

You'll all learn with time.

Learn to absorb that impulse to buy the latest flashy kit and instead turn it around and into something more productive, like learning to take better pictures with the over-priced ****e you've already got.

Every cloud has a silver lining as they say :D

Or one lined with divorce papers.

And that's a bad thing?? :D

Not at all. Its the cost of it all. I need top quality glass and a spare body.

I was lucky enough to of been given a test model E3 from Olympus Canada over a 2 week period. It was superb. I actual found myself grabbing the E3 more over my set of D200's. It was just a pleasure to use.

Ok I'll say it then :D

You'll all learn with time.

Learn to absorb that impulse to buy the latest flashy kit and instead turn it around and into something more productive, like learning to take better pictures with the over-priced ****e you've already got.

Not exactly diplomatic, Sprog, you have a point though
Overpriced ? generally yes
faecal like?, not necessarily

Not exactly diplomatic, Sprog, you have a point though

There is indeed a good point in there somewhere. I really do think these day that kit can to easily come between us and out creativity.

In the last 18 months I've unloaded a Cambo 5x4 with 3 lenses, A fuji 617 with 2 lenses, A brony 6x6 with 5 lenses, a Contax G2 with 4 lenses and some assorted canon bodies and glass.

At one time these baubles meant the world to me and I took some stuff I love with all of them but outside work, not nearly as often as I should have. So I got rid of everything that wasn't a business essential and used what was left for my own uses too.

I feel more in tune and creative now than I have for a very long time and enjoy shooting more too.

I have bought a small P&S and I do have my eye on a light and portable 5x4 kit but I doubt I'll ever be driven by shiny things again.

Back