Why does my camera keep turning on and off?

Name
Chris Catchpole
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had my Canon 30d since last summer and it's been excellent up until the new year.

Recently when its been on for a few minutes it constantly turns itself on and off. It seems to turn off as its moved around. I thought perhaps it was the battery moving around inside but i'm not sure that this is the case.

I've tried cleaning the battery contacts inside. This hasn't helped. It also seems to do it with a full battery. It does it with different lenses, so thats not the issue. But I cannot work out why it is doing it!

It's becoming a real problem because i'm being asked frequently to do photoshoots for people and it looks far from professional if i'm constantly staring at my camera in frustration.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe somebody has experienced a similar problem? Please help!

[please note: i've checked around on forums for this problem, but have not found any solutions. so apologies if this has been covered before, but i did check]

Dicky on off switch?

I take it is isnt just going to sleep? as in it will work start to work fine with a half press of the shutter button?

It it is turning off completely then that is very odd :| Have you been able to test it with a different battery? (if you have only tried one) other than that I am not sure :( As Steep says maybe the power switch is has broken :(

Hello, thanks for the replies.

The on/off switch on the 30D is pretty solid. It actually has three options, one 'OFF', and two different 'ON' modes. If it is the switch i'd be very suprised (and quite annoyed as it wouldnt be something I could fix)

Unfortunately it also does it with two other spare batteries I have when they are fully charged!

Any other ideas?

:(

Does it come on as soon as you touch the shutter button?

Check the sleep setting. It may have changed?

You tried giving it a shake to see if that causes the problem? it could be a loose connection somewhere. Other than that the only thing I can suggest is send it to Canon to check over.

If I remember rightly on the 30D when you open the battery compartment there is a little plastic bit that holds the battery in place. Make sure that is still there (holding the battery in place) and hasn't broken off, otherwise you'll probably find that the battery is losing its connection and hence losing power.

If I remember rightly on the 30D when you open the battery compartment there is a little plastic bit that holds the battery in place. Make sure that is still there (holding the battery in place) and hasn't broken off, otherwise you'll probably find that the battery is losing its connection and hence losing power.

Mad seems to know the 30D pretty good. I don't. But his look at things makes sense to me as the prob strongly reeks of intermittent power, i.e. a dodgy contact or connection.

Now madferrit mentions it I seem to remember there was a similar problem with some 300D battery compartment doors.

Back