Why is it ....?

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
When you pay a small fortune to extend a warranty the only thing that goes wrong is a part that isn't covered in that warranty?

I bought a new car in 2004 which had 3 years or 60,000 mile warranty - all parts and labour. (As long as it was regularly serviced by an approved dealer).

No problem .... but the car has been a pain in the proverbial ever since I've had it. The garage had it nore time than I have. I do a lot of miles so this year (after 60,000 miles) I took out this option.

Trying to claim against it today I found the faulty item is not covered..... grrr! I was told that, under plan B it's not covered. There is another Plan? I was given no choice, I didn't know there was another option. I was sold a "no mileage limit, all parts covered and recovery package".

Trading Standards visit I feel....

It's not as if they're totally competent. I had several trips to get the boot to shut properly, only to find after a number of "repairs" I couldn't open the damn thing. Not just one repair, about 6 attempts. They even physically damage the bodywork doing it..... I could write a book..... grrrr :bang: :bang: :bang:

what make and model is the car?

TC Harrison got me with the same thing. Warranty covered all parts and labour, so they said.

So imagine my surprise when the entire rear of the car needed rewiring due to a fault, only to find out that it wasn't covered.

Only cost me £50 anyway, but that's hardly the point.

I rpefer to have a large sum (£1k to £1.5k) sitting in a bank account in order to pay for any repairs when they come due. At least it makes money while it sits there!

The problem with warranties is exactly as you found out. They cause you more hassle anyway, and often you end up paying for it anyway.

However, if you are after a third-party warranty, I hear that the best are Warranty Direct.

I rpefer to have a large sum (£1k to £1.5k) sitting in a bank account in order to pay for any repairs when they come due. At least it makes money while it sits there!

However, if you are after a third-party warranty, I hear that the best are Warranty Direct.

Don't recommend divorce as being a good way to have any money sitting in a bank :LOL: :help:

what make and model is the car?

Is that relevant? It's a Lemon, every company makes them, usually on a Friday :thumbsdown:

It's the stinking principle that gets me! Can't recommend Marshalls of Cambridge......:bang:

I am a mechanic and have worked for a few main dealers and they are full of muppets right hand doesnt know what the left etc etc. i always steer well clear even if it has warranty you still dont need to visit the dealer for servicing and repairs there was something brought out a while back, can't remember what it was (have the leaflet at work).
I definatly wouldn't trust my bike with a dealer after the last time more than a headache.

But if it was Marshalls then best of luck!!! Try trading standards and also get in touch with the manufacturer's head office, i have done that before and it worked.

I am a mechanic and have worked for a few main dealers and they are full of muppets right hand doesnt know what the left etc etc. i always steer well clear even if it has warranty you still dont need to visit the dealer for servicing and repairs there was something brought out a while back, can't remember what it was (have the leaflet at work).
I definatly wouldn't trust my bike with a dealer after the last time more than a headache.

But if it was Marshalls then best of luck!!! Try trading standards and also get in touch with the manufacturer's head office, i have done that before and it worked.

Cheers BB - I found out about not needing to be the main dealer around five months ago :( My heart sinks when they say they've taken the sat nav out again..... (built in Blaupunkt DX) there's been three ongoing problems with it and it's still not right... it's the display - I end up at the right places :LOL: Not to mention four rear wheel bearings - think the actual wheel is not concentric, proving it?

They said it was the tyre (which was mishaped I admit) but that had been changed and two wheel bearings per tyre - same position (y) I could write a book.....

The something you refer to a while back Ben were the Block exemption changes, which meant that Dealers and manufacturers could no longer restrict service and information from those who have a need for it amongst other bits

This isn't a ford vehicle is it?

I would strongly suggest arranging a meeting with the dealer principle and then if a solution isn't forthcoming go to Trading standards.
Talking to the manufacturer about a vehicle inside it's warranty period is hard enough, getting them to help on an out of warranty vehicle is like knitting fog. The Manufacturer can't force a franchised dealer to act, it can only suggest ways of helping.

Good luck with it.

Of course the make and model matters. You won't have this problem to begin with if it was a Toyota or Honda or Lexus. :) Trade your car in for another.

Hmmm - I know people who've had problems with all the above ;)

The sooner the world runs out of Oil the better ...... !

Seat Toledo 2.3 V5 with all the toys..... a VW/Audi with Spanish styling.... ;)

Well thats the trouble, get yourself a nice little morris minor traveller and you wont have such problem's :)
I did my apprenticeship on old classic bangers which i really hated at the time but with cars the way they are going i might revert to nice and basic and no head aches.

Ha ha - I bet it'd end up with woodworm if I got one :LOL:

A VW with Spanish styling, yes. Not an Audi though, let's be honest. A VW isn't an Audi.

Ford own Aston Martin and Jaguar but you wouldn't mention them in the same sentence. :)

I had a Seat from new for 1 year - was in the garage 15 times and broke down twice.
I traded it in for an Audi. 22k later, all's well (apart from the diesel engine burning 5 litres of oil in that time - I'm told it's normal :confused:)

A VW with Spanish styling, yes. Not an Audi though, let's be honest. A VW isn't an Audi.

Ford own Aston Martin and Jaguar but you wouldn't mention them in the same sentence. :)

Ownership is one thing..... every single mechanical part has either Audi or VW part nos.... :shrug:

I wouldn't have bought it if it was the "old" Seat.... :(

we do have a reliable Ford Ka a little bit younger than the Seat....but the rear view mirror fell off a couple of days ago :LOL:

Ha ha .... must do that today!

I don't think the Police would be very interested in my usual reply to a lack of a rear view... the Italian first rule of motor racing.....

"What's behind doesn't matter!" :LOL:

i had a seat leon cupra r for a test drive when I was getting shut of my type R, silly thing broke down due to a coil pack problem.

That little niggle affected seat/vw and audi :D

Re the interior mirror......plod won't be bothered ;)
Mot regs state either or, passenger side or interior mirror must be there.

Back