Why I've been busy, another site

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
this time for the gee-gees, critique appreciated. I'm not happy with the different text in the album pages but I can't find the bit in the templates/style sheet to change it just now, and I need it up for next weekend.

Haven't really promoted it yet, you lot are getting first viewing :D

http://www.enduropics.com/index.htm

Nice site. Clean, simple and easy to navigate. I did notice in your price list that the pound sign is showing as ? although I am sure you are aware of that. Are you sure you're not setting your prices too low?

Hiya Dod!

nice site matey, if you make your banner into a .png file it will make it look sharper, text gifs always go grainy

good start Dod, I make these comments in the spirit of friendship and helping-ness (It's a real word honest):

Front page:
Logo is terrible, makes it look like a hobby site. Get it done with a proper logo
and not some dodgy font.
It has no title
I'm not sure that text on left and right works, your eyes skip all over the place. If you do want to do it this way then the rhs text should align vertically under the title of the left.

gallery:
Folder icon should be removed, not nice
No page title
Remove the JAlbum tag line

Image page:
The date is of when you last saved, there should be an option to hide it (Surely you can get this from the event title).
Pound sign appears as a ? under FF.
No title
How about the price list to the rhs of portrait pictures?

General:
Pages with a picture in the middle and text either side does work for me, It'd be better with the image on the left and text on the right.

But a great start mate: :)

Thanks guys

Sammy, thanks, good points :) Don't care too much for the logo myself but it had to have something, that bits definitely a work in progress.

The pound sign I've emailed paypal about. I've taken their code and inserted it here. Why it doesn't work beats me. The other annoying thing is that if there's nothing in the cart it shows the balance in USD. I've DEFINITELY got nothing for USD so..... :shrug:

Page titles: I keep forgetting about them, I'll get onto it, dodspics.com is the same but over 20,000 hits again last month so haven't worried too much about it

Folder Icon is a PITA but it's the standard from the template I used, one of Jalbum's. My knowledge on changing things like this is low to zero and it's a balance between functionality and style. You've just given me an idea though (y) What I think I might do though is remove the gallery pages altogether and just link to the individual galleries from "Events" It will make it tidier as well

I hadn't noticed the image date thing to be honest. I could have included the exif so I should be able to strip out that bit and include it. I know where to find it :LOL:

I'll have a play about with the layout again tonight. I quite like the idea of the right/left suggestion but whenever I've tried that in the past I never seem to be able to make it look "balanced". Wish I had the time to learn this properly. The only saving grace is that most of the club sites where I'll be pimping this look a lot worse than this :LOL:

Doddy if you grab me on msn later i might have a few ideas for you, bit longwinded for a post, so if you got time jump on

matty said:
Doddy if you grab me on msn later i might have a few ideas for you, bit longwinded for a post, so if you got time jump on

Thanks, be later in the afternoon if you're on the go :)

im here all day, just back and forth, they expect me to work while im here!

your not wrong

Looks good dod, works well, easy to navigate, and some reasonable wording. (y)

Hmmmm, some ideas... don't forget to put in Meta keywords and Meta description details in when you finally title the pages.

Are you aware of the importance of keywords dod? Your wording seems based around 'endurance' and 'equestrian' which is probably a good choice I think.

...you haven't used the word 'horse' ...which may be very astute of you..Possibly :shrug: :D

Make sure your Meta tags reflect the wording and therefore the content of your site just as specifically....that'll probably help your search results in months to come.

You also need at least two titles, both in <h> tags...also good for search engines....(you’ll need to put the corresponding code into the css list to match)

Ie. poss.. <h1>Equestrian and Endurance Professional Photography</h1>
And then <h2>Welcome to enduropics.com</h2>

Hope that makes sense and that I haven't gone over stuff you knew already.
:)

Forbiddenbiker said:
Hope that makes sense and that I haven't gone over stuff you knew already.
:)
Thanks, assumptions I know anything about this are wildly optimistic, I'm just pushing buttons. Anything good is purely accidental. :LOL:

More seriously, I've got a few links bookmarked from previous threads on here. I know I should be sitting down to read them but the amount of info is overwhelming to be honest. :(

Aye, I know the mountain well....just keep reading mate...suddenly the light will dawn and you'll realise it&#8217;s know where near as daunting as you first though....I promise. ;)

Some Meta tags for you... just add your own words where red.

<META name="author" content="George Michie...etc">
<META name="copyright" content="&copy; 2006 Acme Corp">
<META name="keywords" content="equestrian and endurance eventing, equestrian, horse endurance, ...etc">
<META name="description" content="A photographic site containing...whatever/etc">

then slip them in with the other Meta tags at the top of the code page above the title tag.

Good start to your site Dod ... relatively easy to work one's way around it and easy navigation generally ... ;)

Some 'professionalising' will make all the difference and ... as others have indicated this should be relatively easy to achieve ... (y)

Am I right in assuming the site is not all JAlbum then ... you are linking to their gallery stuff but doing you own thing outside of the picture pages ... :thinking:

Venomator said:
Am I right in assuming the site is not all JAlbum then ... you are linking to their gallery stuff but doing you own thing outside of the picture pages ... :thinking: [/COLOR]
Exactly, I'm messing about with it just now in fact, changing the index page, faffing about with the layout. I "think" it looks slightly better, getting rid of the banner anyway :shrug: :bang:

In fact all you do is generate the gallery in Jalbum, change the colours etc and then take the code and slap it into your own pages. Not all the Jalbum skins are as user friendly as others.

http://www.enduropics.com/test.htm

Back