Why Nikon lenses are so expensive?

Name
Kardo Ayoub
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering why Nikon lenses, even the consumer ones, are more expensive compared to the equivalent Canon ones. the 17-55mm f2.8 DX for example.
Do Nikon lenses have better IQ and build quality comparet to the Canon ones.

The 17-55 f2.8 is strangely overpriced tbh :/ even at the cheapest I've ever seen it new, £800 from play.com at the moment, it's pretty damn expensive.... but is a fantastic lens.

Other than that, I'd argue that the lenses are approximately balanced in price tbh - some are more expensive, others are cheaper than canon counterparts. As for image quality... both are exceptionally high, and any comparisons between the two would be fairly irrelevant, and opening a whole can of worms..

The 17-55 f2.8 is strangely overpriced tbh :/ even at the cheapest I've ever seen it new, £800 from play.com at the moment, it's pretty damn expensive.... but is a fantastic lens.

Other than that, I'd argue that the lenses are approximately balanced in price tbh - some are more expensive, others are cheaper than canon counterparts. As for image quality... both are exceptionally high, and any comparisons between the two would be fairly irrelevant, and opening a whole can of worms..

That is exactly the whole point of this thread. I would like to hear poeples views regarding these brands.

It would appear that it is actually £600 from play.com at the moment.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...m-f-2-8G-ED-IF-AF-S-DX-Zoom-Lens/Product.html

(y)

Just wondering why Nikon lenses, even the consumer ones, are more expensive compared to the equivalent Canon ones. the 17-55mm f2.8 DX for example.
Do Nikon lenses have better IQ and build quality comparet to the Canon ones.
Nikon have traditionally spent more in R&D than all thier competitors... changing the subject very slightly to ophthalmic opics..

When Nikon released thier first lens in the uk, it was the thinnest on the market.. 20 years on, there has only been a small advancment from that point

When Nikon released thier first Anti reflection coating - it was the toughest coating on the market. I have yet to see much 20 years on that is any better

When Nikion released thier first plastics lens on the market, it was the lightest, thier next was the thinnest

When Nikon released their range of progressive lenses, they had the least off axis swim and distortion compared to any other progressive on the market.. the results were outstanding. Many modern lenses still dont copete with the raw optical quality of the initial Nikon offerings

If Nikon take the same approach to all thier products, then it isnt hard to see why they can charge the money they do

Its all well and dandy saying -"that lens costs a fortune" the lens may actually be aking nikon a loss for a significant ammount of time, while the R&D is paid off

Anyone who is thinking about which brand should go for should really just pick a brand and go with it. There's no-way I could have seen the different options when I were starting out, and they're so closely matched that you're not going to be disappointed either way...

Just made the mistake of discussing spending £600 on a new lens with the Mrs.... I don't think I'll be getting one :baby:

I just ordered one from play.com this afternoon, I was looking for a 16-85 when I saw the price, I dont know how reliable they are. Has any one shopped with them before?

I believe that Nikon originally made Canon's lenses, but that might well be me perpetuating another urban myth.

Here's another is-it-or-isn't-it that someone might put me straight on... many Nikon lenses seem to have smaller production runs than Canon if availability worldwide is anything to go by?

The Nikkor 300/4 is rocking horse muck across Europe and America. I could buy a Canon 300/4 tomorrow from ten places[except of course it wouldn't fit my D80, and I don't need ten of them, unless I was doing some serious reverse lens macro..]

I just ordered one from play.com this afternoon, I was looking for a 16-85 when I saw the price, I dont know how reliable they are. Has any one shopped with them before?

Play must rival only Amazon in size for UK online stores, I'm very suprised you have never heard of them tbh.:LOL:

It'll be fine, if Play say they have something in stock for that price they will almost certainly have it in stock, and it will be with you in a day or two.:)

Was the lens sold by Play or sold by a dealer on Play Trade (a bit like amazon Marketplace)?

Was the lens sold by Play or sold by a dealer on Play Trade (a bit like amazon Marketplace)?

By play but they asked me to call them and told me that it was a mistake and they dont event have it in stock any more and they have now removed it from the site. :bang::bang::bang::bang:

Back