Wide angle lens for motorsport

Edit My Images
Yes
What would the best wide angle lens to get for motorsport photography when you are a little close to the road or at a tight corner, I have been looking at the sigma 10-20 would this lens be ok or is it a little to wide??

I shoot with a d70

most of the time it is rally, but anything that moves really as long as im off work

My next lens will be the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM

BUT

My current wide angle zoom is the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM this is out of your price range but for rallying (Tarmac and Forestry events) anything like this is good.I would advice to stay as close to f/2.8L as you can.

You'd need to be super close to the action for a wide angle to be of much use. I guess at some rallies that may be feasible, but most of the time I doubt you'd get much benefit.

Having said that, if this helps, these were taken with a Canon 10-22mm (as per my sig) which would be in your price range - if it weren't a Canon lens.

The light was pretty poor (getting dark) but from the 1st you can see how close you would need to get before a wide angle is any good for motor sport.

You'd need to be super close to the action for a wide angle to be of much use. I guess at some rallies that may be feasible, but most of the time I doubt you'd get much benefit.

Having said that, if this helps, these were taken with a Canon 10-22mm (as per my sig) which would be in your price range - if it weren't a Canon lens.

The light was pretty poor (getting dark) but from the 1st you can see how close you would need to get before a wide angle is any good for motor sport.

Love the 1st shot - you've really captured the atmosphere :clap:

Thanks - but that's the point - its tricky. There's another post around here where I talk about hit rates; ie shots taken vs. keepers. On average I reckon I get 1:10. Motorsport is more likely 1:100. And with a wide angle ...... GOK .........

You can get some nice atmospheric UWA shots from motorsport action but it is tricky... however the UWA is my absolute fave for pitlane walkabout and shows etc :D

Sigma 10-20mm is a fantastic lens but you're a braver man than me if you're looking to fill the frame with cars hurtling around bends!

Thats my car (1st car) @ Le Mans :LOL:

Andy

Thats my car (1st car) @ Le Mans :LOL:

Andy

Glad to be of service. The pic's got a clicky link to flickr where you can get the big size. Feel free grab for personal use / printage / whatever. (But link back to the flickr page if you put it on the web anywhere)

MV

Glad to be of service. The pic's got a clicky link to flickr where you can get the big size. Feel free grab for personal use / printage / whatever. (But link back to the flickr page if you put it on the web anywhere)

MV

Thanks mate :D

Top Snap (y)

Andy

I used to be a TV cameraman and I covered a lot of motor sport, including F1, BTCC and WRC.

I would only ever use a wide angle in the pits or paddock. Trackside it was always a long lens. If I were you, I would find a spot where you could use a long lens and get that killer shot of the car coming towards you, high shutter, low F/stop, short depth of field (also a damn sight safer than trying to fill the frame with a fast moving car with a wide angle!)

Very rarely have I needed less than 70mm for motorsport btw, static shots yeah of course

I like these photos, I really do and please don't think I'm knock them (cos I'm not :) ) but if you are taking photos for mags, they would 'normally' want clear photos where you can see the car and the action clearly, hence the advice I gave up there.

These photos are great and give a great feeling of what it would be like to be there, but may not be the style which would be snapped (pardon the pun) by a motor sport mag.

Great photos thought! (Are you still talking to me? :LOL: )

Back