Beginner Wide angle lens recommendations

Name
Esther
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm back again to ask for lens recommendations, I've got a D5300 with the 18-55mm kit lens, a nikkor 55-300mm and a nikkor 35mm prime.

They all have their uses but none of them are wide enough and I find I struggle to get decent photos when I can't get far enough away from the subject.

These two photos were taken in pretty much the same spot, first one with my 35mm and one with my mobile phone, annoyingly I much prefer the mobile phone as the camera one loses way too much surrounding area and at that location I couldn't physically move further away.

I'd like a lens to give me the perspective of the mobile phone photo but with the image quality of a camera lens.

mostyn_zpse0lkj7la.jpg

20160701_131712_zps6qzbsd1l.jpg

Other than the sky in the first one, I much prefer that ...:confused:

Tokina 11-20, Tokina 11-16 MkII (the Mk1 doesn't AF on your camera, but works otherwise), Nikon 12-24 f4 AFS are all options - there are plenty more too.

Often with wide angle and ultra wide angle lenses it isn't a case of getting more in, but getting a different perspective on what you are shooting :).

Aren't phones normally something like 28mm field of view? If so 28/1.5 (crop factor) = 18mm but you have an 18-55mm already, isn't that wide enough at 18mm?

If you want something wider than 18mm there are several options and one I've owned and would recommend is the Sigma 12-24mm. It'll work on APS-C or FF and is an extremely well corrected lens.

I've the Sigma 10-20mm and for an UWA lens I'm very pleased with the results and it does what I'm after.

Certainly one to add to your list to consider.

Thanks all, I've looked up all your recommendations and they're sadly all above my budget, I was probably unrealistically hoping to pay £250 maximum as money is a bit tight at the moment but I have found a used Sigma 10-20mm for £159 so am seriously considering that one.

woof woof at the time I didn't consider using the 18-55! Another rookie mistake, I've never been keen on that lens and it rarely leaves my bag anymore so I forget I have it, I do think a wider one would be very useful though as I take a lot of photos indoors where space is often limited.

The 18-55 kit lens is perfectly competent, particularly once stopped down a little, which you would (normally) do with a landscape shot. :) btw, mpb have a tokina 11-16 mkII in at £269 (I know, over your budget bit ...)

woof woof at the time I didn't consider using the 18-55! Another rookie mistake, I've never been keen on that lens and it rarely leaves my bag anymore so I forget I have it, I do think a wider one would be very useful though as I take a lot of photos indoors where space is often limited.

18mm is way wider than your mobile phone and much higher quality too, just use that and see if it isn't wide enough before spending more money.

18mm is way wider than your mobile phone and much higher quality too, just use that and see if it isn't wide enough before spending more money.

The OP is using an APS-C camera, as far as I know, so it'll be a x1.5 crop and 18mm will therefore equate to about 28mm in full frame speak.

I don't know what field of view the OP's phone gives, but I just thought that some were about 28mm and if that's the case the kit zoom should be there or there abouts at its widest setting.

Thanks all, I've looked up all your recommendations and they're sadly all above my budget, I was probably unrealistically hoping to pay £250 maximum as money is a bit tight at the moment but I have found a used Sigma 10-20mm for £159 so am seriously considering that one.

If you're going to be taking wide angle pictures in limited space you may need to be careful especially if there are people in the shot as they may end up looking rather plump or distorted or both if they're near the camera / lens or towards the edges of the frame :D If you are unsure about this maybe you could Google some wide angle shots and see if the look will suit your subject.

Last edited:
UWA'a are quite demanding to use; shrinking so much more into the frame, detail is reduced, perspective & distortion increased and all harder to see in the view-finder.
Likewise, covering a bigger area of scene, you frequently get a similar increase in tonal range and contrast... as well as unwanted or distracting 'clutter', to consider in composition, while you have more work to do to find an exposure that suits the range you have in frame.... hand-held incident readings can be helpful here.

As said, it's unlikely your 'phone has an angle of view much wider than the kit 18 at the wide-end..... and if you aren't using that lens, then I think you ought ponder why.

I know that the 35/1.8 is a gem, and compared to the kit zoom, is nicer to use, gives a brighter, easier to see image in the view-finder; normal angle of view crops a lot of clutter from the frame and concentrates attention, while lack of zoom gives one less variable to complicate matters.

The Kit 18-55... it's not as crisp or precise as the 35 in the results it returns; operation is a little 'toy', its not smooth or precise, and it's not as fast or bright... its NOT a 'bad' lens though, and for the entry level its intended, its more than fit for purpose; used with care and attention, results you can get with it should in so many instances be indistinguishable from much more expensive alternatives, certainly at typical monitor display resolutions, let alone web-resolutions.

To get that bit 'more' in frame where composition may be compromised by access... for the frequency it occurs? You have encountered the problem how many times? And you HAD a lens wide enough to do the job you wanted, in the bag or on the shelf!

If you had left the lens at home, and still wanted to get that wider shot on the spot; you could have turned the camera through 90 degrees to the portrait orientation and shot three or four sections to 'stitch' in post-process, which would have given you the same framing as you got from the 'phone.... and that technique, with either the 45 or kit 18-55 can make you pictures with as wide an angle of view or more, than you would get on one shot with an UWA. Seems the day for wide-questions, but have a look at my look at wides here: Ultra-Wide-Angle vs Kit & Stitch, featuring a fish!.... looks at the scene coverage you get with a UWA compared to what you get with a Section stitch.. commentary in there suggests that wide lenses increase the demand on you to be diligent in their use, to pay more attention to composition and framing and exposure, and do so in proportion to the % of added scene area they pack in the frame for you...

If you aren't paying that attention & discipline now, with the kit and the 35, to even consider using the kit that would give you the wide you think you want... then looking for something even wider, is likely to merely add to your problems, not solve them.

I have the UWA Sigma 8-16 in the bag, because I like taking photo's at motorbike meets and shows, and with custom or classic motorbikes, parked up and folk milling about looking at'em and chatting about them; it's often impossible to get a clean shot of one without a UWA.. if you back up, you have people, rope-barriers or other bikes between you and the subject, while the angular difference from such a short subject distance plus people moving in periphery of the scene, makes stitching less practical and reliable or pleasant. Lens has some other uses too, but they are limited, and it's was an 'indulgence' purchase... I don't need to take photo's of motorbikes, let alone a £500 lens to take them with! But, its not so easy to get the results you expect with it; the lens doesn't do the job for you, in sort of the reverse way that a longer zoom gets you closer; it demands you do more to make it get what you want, and if you aren't prepared for that, it Is likely to be disappointing, not solving the problem you think you have or giving you what you hope it will do.

My advice would be to put the 45 and the 5500 away, and spend some time working with that kt 18-55 and get to grips with what it CAN do for you, rather than mourning what it doesn't.. get the absolute most you can from that lens, THEN think about what its real short-comings are.

While I have had mine; about four years now, it has been my most used lens. Mostly for the convenience, and usefulness of that normal mild wide to mild tele range about the normal angle of view. 55-300 is not so much used; and both 'expensive' fish-eye and UWA, seem to get even less use than the M42 screw-fit lenses from my film cameras, if put on it when I am getting a bit 'precious' about it all... I am actually contemplating treating myself to a 'normal-angle' zoom upgrade this year, on the notion that if I can afford to have a couple of £500 lenses sat in the bag most of the time, I ought to be able to justify at least that much on the one that's on the camera most of the time! And the Nikon 16-80, is current favourite candidate for that... offering a tad more at the wide end, an tad more at the long end, giving it that bit 'more' usefulness either side of normal angle, as well as better optics and nicer 'handling'... practically though.... nice as that may be.... it IS just a nicety, difference in optics I expect to be almost imperceptible to what I cold get with what I got, and a little more care, attention and diligence.... but, if I can afford it? What the heck, its all an indulgece...

For you... the Sigma 10-20 is a useful UWA, probably more practical than my 8-16, and half the price new a very good VFM wide lens, even more so at 2nd Hand prices.... BUT, if you are incing over the investment and NOT getting what you could from what you already got... and you want it to solve a problem you don't really have? Its spending money, to make more problems than you solve, and not tackle the fundamentals that are causing them.... you are looking to the equipment to do all the work for you.... not doing the work to get the kit to do the job.... without tackling that... you'll just have more kit NOT doing what you want, wont you?

Post-Script;

Just been back and looked at your last posting about a 'low-light' lens, when you similarly wanted to solve a perceived problem with the cheque-book and an addition to the gadgets, rather than an addition to your know-how and technique..... that was what prompted you to buy the 35/f1.8, I recall, and further commentary with you taking to that lens, but still struggling that the kit didn't deliver all you hoped.... and we took a tangent off into the topic of selective focus as opposed to shallow-focus, and how concerned you were with settings rather than subject...

At each turn, you have been looking AT the camera, not through it, and as your interest and small know-how has increased, so have your expectations, BUT, still looking at the camera, rather than through it, THAT is where you have hoped to magically find a solution to any problem... and if its not in the menu's, then it must be in the shop in something else.....

When I started out, the entry level SLR used film... we had to buy it 24 or 36 frames at a time!, and we had a choice, usually of just 'slow', ISO 100 or 'fast' ISO 400.. your camera, with selectable ISO from 100 to what, 3200 and a couple of 'hi' settings perhaps, is like having EVERY roll of film in the shop, twenty years ago, available, for free, frame by frame! That 'kit' 18-55, covers the same range of focal lengths as a 28-80 for an old Film Camera.. it's the range of three primes, and we probably did't have even that much range, very often, the camera shipping with a fixd 50mm 'prime' as standard!

The technology packed into even the most basic Digital SLR, is astounding compared to the limitations and compromises we had with old film cameras... when there was often nothing else in the shop that might make life easier; we HAD to work with what we had and get the best from it, as buying solutions just wasn't an option! But, we got good photo's often enough with that rudimentary kit... What you have, is by comparison every toy in the shop, and a few to boot, and if you cant get good pictures with it, its NOT for a lack of elec-trickery!

Its STILL not all about the camera, and you still cant 'buy' your way to better photo's, unless you pay some-one who has more skill than you do, to take'em! It's not an uncommon attitude it seems these days, unfortunately, folk want to buy stuff rather than learn stuff, and so often they can buy stuff that saves them learning, they learn they usually just need to buy more stuff the whole while.... aint consumerism wonderful?!

Unfortunately, that's the trap you are in though. So, it may be, that if you have that bit of cash to spend on something photo-related, your best investment of it for where you are right now, would be a Photo-Course at the local college, and learn the basics of technique, and back to basics start with composition, attention to detail and basic camera operation.. as in how to hold it properly; looking through the view-finder rather than using the preview screen at arms length, rather than getting all pretentious about using 'manual' and your metering accuracy, pixel peeping and criticising a lens you aren't even using, let alone using to the full!

Your know-how is taking leaps and bounds, randomly into the realms where I suspect you simply don't know enough of the foundations, to know where or when or how much use what you do know may or may not be useful.. but here and now, you really need to take a step back and STOP asking what you can buy, every time the camera doesn't do what you hope it will, and ask instead what you can DO.

But merely an observation.

I have a Tamron 10-22 lens which I find pretty good. I have nothing to compare it with though unfortunately.

I'm another in the 'be careful what you wish for' camp. I think it's natural for beginners to gravitate to ultra wide angle lenses to fit more in but the results can often be dull and lacking a subject. In the example above, I cannot see an ultra wide working unless there was something of prominence much nearer the camera, an old anchor or rope etc. Otherwise you'll just end up with a lot more sky and a lot more grass.

But if the OP was trying to obtain the same photo as with her iPhone, is unable to step back further using her 35mm prime, then an UWA would give her what she was looking for?

But if the OP was trying to obtain the same photo as with her iPhone, is unable to step back further using her 35mm prime, then an UWA would give her what she was looking for?

iPhones have equivalent to 30mm ish focal length (model dependent) when compared to full frame. The OP already has a kit lens option that is wider than that hence my suggestion of caution before splurging the cash.

Maybe look at a used Nikon 16-85mm? MPB have one for £210 and it is often considered a worthy upgrade to the 18-55mm.

Tokina 11-16mm lens. Very good lens with great reputation and reviews. If you look around you could get a bargain. I only paid 200 for mine just a few weeks ago.

If you don't mind second hand lenses, there are some good companies out there who offer new/nearly new lenses at a cheaper price from the original, just do a search for camera shops in the UK and I'm sure you'll find something. Don't just settle on one lens, keep looking elsewhere if you can find a cheaper lens :)

I have no wide angle lens But I do crop some images to widescreen from my Nikon D3100.. Only a novice still...

Back