Wide lens for Canon 40d

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Alright guys, later this year im going to be in the need to get a nice wide lens, BUT not too wide. I'm not after a UWA as i wouldnt get enough use out of it once i come back from my honeymoon.

Also, i dont want to spend too much, so i would probably look at either a Siggy or Tamron. I know i have the 17-70 but that will be my misses lens for the Honeymoon.

So please, fire away :D

Siggy 10-20, great lens for the money

I think most would consider that a UWA all though it is an excellent option and would compliment your 17-70 in the future. Failing that I'd either go for another 17-70 or if you can live without the reach and don't need fast glass a 17-40L. The final option would be a 17-50(ish) f2.8 from either Sigma or tamron but I'd only bother if you specifically require the low light performance.

Yeah, dont really want a UWA. I was considering the 17/18-50 f2.8 but then im not sure the Low light would really benifit me since i gave up my gig photography, although might be good with weddings.

Its a tight budget so it would be nice to find a bargin. Id love the 17-40L but its out of the budget at the moment.

I have heard good reviews about the 17-50 but they are rare as rocking horse ***** second hand :p

Just wondered if anyone else could help with other suggestions

I know there's a bit of a conflict of interest here, but if you're after a lens that you only really need for one special occasion, then buying may not be the best idea.

If I were you I'd be thinking of a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS as the ultimate walkaround lens, and a Canon EF-S 10-22mm for the occasional ultra-wide use.

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, very good lens on a budget, Canon 17-55mm f2.8 better built, if you thinking about going full frame in the future then the canon 17-40mm f4 L is another option, the canon 10-22mm or sigma equivalent are limited if you want a walkaround lens into the bargain, if budget is limited, then the tamron is a good option.

Peter

Hi Stewart.
Ill be away from 6th September and wont get back till 20th September.
I'm not massive on landscapes but i dont want to miss taking some because my widest lens will only go to 24mm :LOL:
When i went to Kos last June i had the 17-85is. This has since been sold as i wasnt overly impressed with it. Its a shame as the focal length for me would have been perfect.
I was considering the Sigma 18-50 as i dont know if id want to go any wider then that, however there are now wide lenses that will reach to near 24mm but then lose their ability as a walk about lens.

If i had the cash id buy both a UWA and a WA lens, but with it being our Honeymoon and have thing both the wedding and the honeymoon to pay for, i think ill only be able to afford one :(

Mike

Back