wifes portraits

Name
adam turner
Edit My Images
Yes
Did a portrait of the wife using 2 flash lights and 2 umbrellas 1 light 45 to front and one at the right hand side on 1/32 power to eliminate any shadows have i got it right as i`m new to lighting.

IMGP0049.jpg

I'm also new to lighting (See here), but the centre of her face looks a little dark. Maybe the fill flash should have been a little more from the front or slightly higher power?

Hi Adam
Like the shot and your wife makes a lovely model.

A million miles from being expert, but ...

The left (your wife's ) side looks just right.
I think the right would have worked better if it was slightly brighter( as on right side cheek) than left and lit more directly & uniformly which would have brought out the detail in your wife's right eye.

Difficult to explain - hope I've made sense(ish) !

I am too completely new, so new infact I am only just buying the kit. With that in mind I am unable to comment fully on the lighting as I am still learning, but I am wondering if perhaps the fill could be a little stronger?

OUt of interest...
What kit are you using? Do you have a backdrop and stand or is the background DIY, if that makes sense?

Rob

Hi thanks for the comments the kit i`m using are 2 pentax flash guns with full manual control and can be controlled wireless from my pentax k20d camera`s onboard flash.The backdrop is a reverable black and white pop up type backdrop and also have two light stands for the flash and umbrellas mainly ebay stuff.Its mainly trial and error couple off test shots and adjust accordingly must remember to write down setting for future use....but isnt it the fun bit trying to get it right...

Last edited:
Lovely photo - perhaps a little dark on the forehead? I know zero about lighting though so maybe it's just me.

Nice pic, well posed.

I find the huge buttonhole of the cardigan a bit distracting as is the fact that the bottom of the pendant on the chain has been cut off.

As has been said, overall the lighting is very pleasant with a natural look to it but there is just a bit too much shadow around the eyes to allow them to stand out as the focal point of the shot.

Thanks for the info on the kit! Its exactly the kinda thing I am starting to enter into. Only I am having to stagger what I buy when. Its nice to see a fellow pentaxian (ok so mines a Samsung but you know what I mean!).

Much better, but I'm sure someone will come along and point out that there is no eye contact. ;)

As above advice i cropped tighter and i cloned out the necklace it does look alot better .

IMGP0050-2.jpg

The crop is better :)

Is she wearing a lip ring? Ive not seen lips make that shape before! Its not a bad thing, just curious :)

Not a lip ring just the shape of her lip i think lip gloss she`s wearing just shows it up more...

the eyes are a bit in shadow in the first one. good effort though, other than that it looks even. is there anyway you can use a reflector to light the underside of her face?
#2 looks good. still some annoying shadow in her eyes though. nice portraits though.

Back