Wildlife Photography

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
No
Hello

I recently picked up a Canon AE-1 and 28 F2.8, I originally got the camera with the intention of shooting B&W Landscapes and having a go at home developing.
I have been wanting to have a go at wildlife photography for awhile now.
With the older equipment being relatively cheap would it be worth persuing wildlife photography with film or would I be better off saving up for a digital set up ?

Thanks

The simple answer is that good wildlife photography was being produced pre digital :)

Hello

I recently picked up a Canon AE-1 and 28 F2.8, I originally got the camera with the intention of shooting B&W Landscapes and having a go at home developing.
I have been wanting to have a go at wildlife photography for awhile now.
With the older equipment being relatively cheap would it be worth persuing wildlife photography with film or would I be better off saving up for a digital set up ?

Thanks

It's true you can do wildlife photography with film. The only problem is the ratio of bin shots to keepers isn't high due to the very nature of shooting manic twitchy birds and critters. There are always a pretty high proportion of blurry shots and 'not quite there' shots, so you could get through a lot of film very quickly unless you can be very patient and go for very still targets.

If you don't get a sharp flight shot out of 10 on high speed continuous, you can just shrug and delete them with digital, but with film it's a 1/3 of a roll gone in a blink.

The simple answer is that good wildlife photography was being produced pre digital :)

:plus1: If you're willing to spend time creating the image before taking it (researching into behviour etc) then there is no reason you can't get some good shots :) Of course, as CT says, you will need a lot of patience (or money :LOL:)...but don't let that put you off!

Thanks for the replies.

Thankfully I spend a lot of time wildlife watching and tracking so I'm used to needing patience and I have already spent countless hours with landscape photography waiting for the clouds and the lighting to be just right etc. I'm more than happy to spend the whole weekend out and maybe only get one or two good shots if any at all. With the price of a 100-300 F5.6 FD being so cheap I might as well go and have a play.

With the price of a 100-300 F5.6 FD being so cheap I might as well go and have a play.

Would be rude not to!
I shoot wildlife on film as well as digital. As has been said you need to think about the shot a little more and not just blat away like you can with digital :nono:

Back