Will anyone help me ..!!!!!!!

..MD..

Helen Shapiro
Name
MonkeyDave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all I have just had my next door neighbour around to do some shots in my garage..

ok so far :D

he came with his
wife
daughter
son
son in law
daughter in law
mother
farther
and some grand kids

12 in all :eek:

my garage is only small 8'x8'

it was only a very quick snap as some where off to catch planes :wave:

now I have a few ok shots but I would like all the background done right .

Basically I am not charging them as they are friends but I would love to give them a lovely present.

I shot in raw if anyone can help I would be very gratefull.
I dont mind being told how the best way is to do it and spend some time on it myself..

I will be doing my best but im not great on ps..

anyone who can help please send me a pm

yours hopefully md(y)

LOL. Why not stick an example up Dave? (y)

LOL. Why not stick an example up Dave? (y)

:help:

lol

working on it now mate

i will put up a unedited pic..

md(y)

graham.jpg

md(y)

LOL. How many shots are we talking about Kemo Sabay?

And when do you want 'em for?

I only had time for 15 shots ...:LOL: like I said bit of a rush ..

As long as they have one shot that is ok ill be happy im sure they will two .

time scale . when i give them the pics ..:LOL: as and when ..

md(y)

I am no expert by any means but how about this, i only saved it low quality but you get the effect.

2140517453_b313ebb61f.jpg

thanks

Mark

Anywhere we can download the original dave.... its no good us doing it on the small jpg as you wont be able to print

I took not much time but if you had enough you should be able to paint the white background very carefully and gett a white looking background.

Anywhere we can download the original dave.... its no good us doing it on the small jpg as you wont be able to print

:shrug: i would not have a clue what to do here janice sorry.:shrug:

is it easy to sort out..

md(y)

ps i only use tp. for gallery and sharing.

It's well do-able Dave. You can either paste the pic as a layer over a plain white bg and erase the grey bits. A bit fiddly and time consuming.

The way I'd do it is set the bg colour to white and using the magic wand tool keep selecting grey areas and cutting them out to white. You'll need to keep varying the tolerance of the wand as you go, and you'll probably need to do a bit of hand retouching in places to do a really good convincing job, but it should look OK.

If you're struggling, PM me a link to the full size TIFF by all means. (y)

And have you got a shot where they're all looking at the camera *slap* ;)

thats the 2 ways i sort of know . i will be doing the magic wand tool jobby myself(y)

thanks for the advice .if i get stuck ill be in touch..

CT

only kidding

cheers buddy

md(y)

something like this Dave? Just done quickly

graham.jpg

LOL you're more than welcome mate if you're struggling honest - but you can do it. (y)

Another method is to use the colour replacer tool, but that would be fiddly as well as the bg colour isn't consistent. If it gets tricky selecting a tight fit against the figures with the wand, then swap to the freehand mask tool, but take your time.

Janice has the idea - a vignette will work well. (y)

Cheers CT

Janice :clap: thanks for the heads up now this is a prime example of time to use the vin..

md(y)

workin on my pic now will post in a bit.

md(y)

:clap:

i like that mate i will have another go thats alot more like the natural feel im looking for

thanks(y)

md(y)

Here's my effort...

Tweaked levels, etc. then cut the people out of the background and made a new one with a couple of gradient fills. Added a very soft drop shadow to the people layer and then airbrushed in the deeper shadow behind the legs bottom left. Finally went round the edges with the eraser to soften the edges of the people.

graham1.jpg

Here's my effort...

Tweaked levels, etc. then cut the people out of the background and made a new one with a couple of gradient fills. Added a very soft drop shadow to the people layer and then airbrushed in the deeper shadow behind the legs bottom left. Finally went round the edges with the eraser to soften the edges of the people.
That makes it sound so simple!! I had a go at using a few of the photoshop tools, and just cutting that out would have taken me hours if I had the patience to keep doing it that long :LOL:

Amazing how you have all manaed to retouch the background. I have tried this technique lots of times and it always fails.

G.

That makes it sound so simple!! I had a go at using a few of the photoshop tools, and just cutting that out would have taken me hours if I had the patience to keep doing it that long :LOL:

Normally I do a rough cut with the selection tool and then refine it by painting the layer mask as you get a lot more control over the feathering along edges.

Can I just say - this thread is typical of this forum - everyone helping eachother out - this is what makes this forum such a great place.

What Glitter said! :)

Slightly different method....

Cut out the group with the freehand mask tool. It's bit laborious but you get a cleaner edge I find.
Cut out the group
Add gradient fill and paste the group back in.
Flatten layers.
Use the soften filter just around the edges of the group to blend into the bg and avoid the cut-out appearance.

MD_tpf.jpg

A square crop is the best format here to lose all that wasted space at the sides and make the most of the group. It also makes it very easy to find a square frame to suit the image.

That's a cracker CT, I like both Forbiddenbikers' try and pxl8s' but both have that ultra bright top right hand corner that's distracting. I think monkeydave's neighbour would be thrilled with that.

wow, luv pxl8's version, soft and subtle bg, still allowing for all the colours of the group to stay forward and not get lost in the high-key white, etc.:clap:

Thanks Steep. I think all the other efforts are excellent and demonstrate some impressive skills. Having done a lot of this type of work, much of it for the trade though, I've found that cutting out by hand is the best way when it's a difficult bg as it is here. It's a pain in the bum tbh, but it produces the most natural looking result.

Thanks Steep. I think all the other efforts are excellent and demonstrate some impressive skills. Having done a lot of this type of work, much of it for the trade though, I've found that cutting out by hand is the best way when it's a difficult bg as it is here. It's a pain in the bum tbh, but it produces the most natural looking result.

How long did it take you. Did you use a "feathered edge" when cutting? If so, what feather amount?

Thanks,

Gary.

It took about 2 hours sticking at it ( on the full size tiff). Chopping the group out a bit at a time is the best way. I don't use a feathered mask usually for this as it often produces halos when you paste onto the new background. I find a nice clean edge is best to avoid all that. Obviously you need to soften that edge for a more natural look after you flatten the layers, but that's peanuts compared to fiddling about sorting out halo problems.

big thank you to ct the shot he did for me has been ordered with photobox ..

:clap:

many thanks to all for taking the time to help me out..(y)

you gotta love this place..

thanks again

md(y)

Well done to everyone who helped here........CT, you are a true gent and I'll raise my glass to you (y)

They are all fantastic 'effects' - brilliant ideas that WORK !

Back