Will this work?

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
trying to sort out flashes for my Bronica ETRS. Sorry if its a stupid question, just wanted to check.

I want to run a (male to male) PC sync cable from my pc port in the camera into a Hotshoe adapter, (like the link below)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flash-Hot-Shoe-Adapter-PC-Sync-Socket-for-CANON-NIKON-/290728970860?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item43b0cc0a6c

with my yongnuo flash on it, will the camera be able to fire the flash using the cables and adapter?

Cheers

I'm only 75% sure on this, but I'm going to say no. That adapter looks like it is designed for 2 flash guns - flash 1 is on the adapter, which is mounted on your camera, and flash 2 is connected by the PC socket. The whole contraption is fired by the camera's hotshoe, which triggers both flashes via the adapter.

You probably want something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Flash-...JAII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356795230&sr=8-1

although the lead on this is very short so you'll probably want a PC cord extension.

That should work, but that's only looking from a distance - contact the seller if in absolute doubt (y)

When i did flash and the ETRS - the simplest way was just to buy the speedgrip which has a hotshoe and then you can do whatever you want using that speedgrip hotshoe. Whether that's mount a flash on there or a transmitter for off-camera flash.

Would it matter what flash gun was mounted on the sppedgrip Mel??.....frying the electrics of the camera is often a concern!

Would it matter what flash gun was mounted on the sppedgrip Mel??.....frying the electrics of the camera is often a concern!

Honestly, I don't know. I used a sb800 and a yungnuo 560 no problem.

Also, if this was the case - the speedgrip would fry i assume? rather than the camera? lessening the risk i think. :thinking:

Honestly, I don't know. I used a sb800 and a yungnuo 560 no problem.

Also, if this was the case - the speedgrip would fry i assume? rather than the camera? lessening the risk i think. :thinking:

The grip for the ETRS is completely mechanical, the shutter release connects via a metal pin to the camera main body so any electrical hiccup caused by a flash unit would have a direct effect on the camera body (shutter and/or metering systems)?.

I'm not a big user of flash tbh and as yet haven't tried with the ETRS but I do have an SB800 .....could be tempted to have a play knowing you had no problems.

@ OP...your question is far from stupid.....sometimes a wrong flash.camera set up can end in disastrous results like ***** camera. Always best to get advice etc

I'm guessing that perhaps a transmitter for off-camera flash use is a "safer" option to synch cords which connect the flash directly to the camera.:thinking:....Oh I don't know, I'm just getting myself confused now!:D

If you were using an older flash on a modern camera I'd worry, but I'm not sure its an issue the other way around. If the body is hardened against >50v then 5v isn't going to cause it any worries. If unsure test it with a cheap ebay receiver, better that lose its magic smoke than the camera.

Any flash will be fine with the ETRS speed grip. It's the other way (old flash, new camera) which poses the problem.

The grip for the ETRS is completely mechanical, the shutter release connects via a metal pin to the camera main body so any electrical hiccup caused by a flash unit would have a direct effect on the camera body (shutter and/or metering systems)?.

Asha, it's mechanical indeed, but because it's mechanical it should have no effect on the camera body at all. The ETR, as a design, dates from the 1970s so it would definitely be able to take any flash voltage.

Any flash will be fine with the ETRS speed grip. It's the other way (old flash, new camera) which poses the problem.

Asha, it's mechanical indeed, but because it's mechanical it should have no effect on the camera body at all. The ETR, as a design, dates from the 1970s so it would definitely be able to take any flash voltage.

Of course! ...it didn't occur to me that if there is no electrical connection between the grip and body then no damage can occur.:bonk:

Thanks for clarifying(y)

Ended up buy one of those cheap hot shoe things from ebay after messaging the seller, and seems to work fine!

Using the grip a tone with my wireless triggers and loving it, shot 2 rolls of film now, skateboarding, studio and a bit of street. Just waiting to get some time in the Darkroom and ill post the photos!! :D

Ended up buy one of those cheap hot shoe things from ebay after messaging the seller, and seems to work fine!

Using the grip a tone with my wireless triggers and loving it, shot 2 rolls of film now, skateboarding, studio and a bit of street. Just waiting to get some time in the Darkroom and ill post the photos!! :D

Excellent news.....which wireless triggers are you using??

Umm off the top of my head they are... the Yonguno C301's? or something

:LOL: I ask because when I looked up Yonguno wireless triggers, I was greeted with a number of different versions:|

Back