Wimberley Heads & Quick Release Systems

H

h4rri

I am looking into this to replace my current tripod head [Manfrotto 808RC4] and was looking at;

WH-200 Wimberley Head w Q/R
C-10 Clamp
P-5 Camera Body Plate
P-20 Lens Plate
P-30 Lens Plate

Which would cover all my needs including the new monopod [when I finally decide on one].

The question is, where's the best place to order this lot from? I have looked at their listed distributor but he's literally charging £ for $ prices [so $500 for the head is £500] and it's looking like it's easier to import the stuff and pay the duties.

Anybody know what the duty rates are? Is there something else on top of the 17.5% VAT? Seem to recall there is an actual 'import tax' on top of VAT.

What lens's do you have, using a wimberley or any gimbal for normal photography with say a 24-70 etc is going to be a real pain, if you have nothing big in the lens department (ie less than 300mm 2.8) I would look at a decent quality ball head, Kirk, RRS, Archatech etc.

Kerso will save you some dosh. approx £100 just on the head if i recall

Edit - Just looked at your kit bag, personally i think the wimberley is the wrong choice for your current collection of lens's.

What lens's do you have, using a wimberley or any gimbal for normal photography with say a 24-70 etc is going to be a real pain, if you have nothing big in the lens department (ie less than 300mm 2.8)

I have the 300 f/2.8 IS and 70-200 f/2.8 IS so need something to make then easier to handle :)

Blapto said:
I paid 3.5% Import Duty, 17.5% VAT and 0% Excise Duty on a tripod head and plate that I imported recently.

I was also charged a £13.50 ParcelForce Handling Fee.
Cheers I thought there was an additional % to add :)

I have the 300 f/2.8 IS and 70-200 f/2.8 IS so need something to make then easier to handle :)

I would only use the 300 on the gimbal the others will be a real pain to use, I know I have tried.

My and a lot of other peoples preferred setup for what you have is a ballhead and the wimberley sidekick, that combo will carry anything upto a 500mm f4 no problem. and is very versatile in use. You get the best of both worlds without the hassle and size of the full gimbal.

I would only use the 300 on the gimbal the others will be a real pain to use, I know I have tried.

My and a lot of other peoples preferred setup for what you have is a ballhead and the wimberley sidekick, that combo will carry anything upto a 500mm f4 no problem. and is very versatile in use. You get the best of both worlds without the hassle and size of the full gimbal.

The tripod will be used for the 300 and the monopod for the rest so it should be fine. Really don't get on with ballheads for some reason :(

Will always have the old head as a backup too :)

Manfrotto 393 ? (y)

Would still need to replace all my plates etc so might as well go Wimberley :(

Would be nice if Manfrotto [or anyone else] did a quick release plate system for the monopod.

A good mono pod Q/R head can be found at Rearlly Right Stuff in the USA.
I haven't got one but it looks the busines.
H

A good mono pod Q/R head can be found at Rearlly Right Stuff in the USA.
I haven't got one but it looks the busines.
H

If your thinking about the RRS products for use as a monopod head:

For lightweight use:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=234&eq=&Tp= which will also need the following QR plate plus some other items - suggest you read their monopod section for fuller detals:
http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=B2-Pro&eq=B2-Pro-001&Tp=

They also do a heavy duty head:
http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=MH-01-Pro&eq=&Tp=

I have both of these heads and also the 300 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8. The heavy duty head is lovely bit of engineering and, like most RRS products, extremely well made. However if you were looking to use only the 70-200 on it, it is overkill and you would best of using the lightweight version.

As RRS have no distributors in the UK you will have to deal direct in which case I would suggest that you use their RRS QR plates as well and get the Wimberley head from Kerso.

Tom

The Manfrotto monopod head is also available in the UK. I use one with a Kirk plate. I also sometimes mount a Kirk plate direct on the top of my monopod. I use a 2" one but don't know how that maps to the Wimberley part numbers.

I certainly can't get anthing less than 300/2.8 to balance on my Wimberley Sidekick. For me, it is for 300/500 only...

Appears that the Manfrotto series offer a quick release system too. I'm looking into this and will let you know which way I go. I need a QR plate on the monopod which also mounts to the tripod head for speed and ease of use, both would appear to fit the bill but the Wimberley is 3x the price.

Hmm, still looking at this and considering the Gitzo GM5541 as the base, Giotto's MH1300-652 Series II as the ball head, Wimberley Side Kick, Wimberley C-10 [as they've dropped the C-30] for the clamp and the various plates.

The issue is finding it all in stock anywhere, I don't mind getting it from different retailers but do mind getting it all bar the C-10 ....

I looked at a full Giotto's system but apparently that isn't compatible with the Sidekick, the Manfrotto system isn't either so I'm back to a Wimberley clamp I can't buy anywhere ARRRGHHHHH

Help *sob*

Back