Win 10 etc

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
i sucummed to buying a new desktop/tower pc - ugraded CPU, graphic card, memory etc. Then had the joy of installing win10 as a new install and the software from my old pc - gods, I have over 20yrs as IT PC engineer and then as an IT service manager on multiple contracts managing teams ( very hands on, building servers and raid stacks etc in datacentres) and managing service teams across full outsourced services so I do kinda know what i am doing.

So prior to build used old pc to download new win10 install file to a usb stick as a boot installer, saved all docs etc to usb sticks, backed up files, checked I had dvds to do re-installs of local software, printed out critical files as well for paper copies of login ID and passwords etc, Okay good to start, moved additional drives to new tower and booted up installed windows entered reg key - it refused it saying it was not valid - yes it smegging was, booted pc as it will run but you can't cusomise it - installed office 2010 pro - refused the reg key says not valid arghhhhhhh. one long loud tantrum later - logged into a web site - bought win10 key for 8.99€ installed and now win 10 is happy, hmm tried office key - oh thats okay now !

so installed various software packages, downloaded PS and Lightroom etc, no probs, went out today took a few images uploaded them to pc - now to view using windows view - what the hell no slideshow just opens the one image,

I review my images in this to cull the dross and decide which I will open in PS to edit, seems they discontinued it and unless you have done the win 10 as an upgrade - lucky you - you get to keep it, new installs dont. if you are happy to hack the registry files it is actually still there and with a few tweaks you can get it back but, i do not do that as I have seen what can go wrong and the pain of rebuilds, anyway - finally found an open source package - ImageGlass 9, so far it seems to fit the bill and works well, free to download and install no problem. So if you have a new win10 pc and no photo viewer - maybe worth a look - so far so good :)

Last edited:
I feel your pain
I use Nikon NX Studio to cull my files, free from Nikon, as it applies all the camera settings to the preview.

I feel your pain
I use Nikon NX Studio to cull my files, free from Nikon, as it applies all the camera settings to the preview.
Nice one, thanks for that. I had forgotten about that - will take a peek adn may well go that way as i shoot with a Nikon

Back