Windows 11 time server

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
What am I doing wrong?

The time on my Win 11 PC has been drifting for a while. Lately I noticed it was 5 mins slow. After the weekend it was still 5 mins slow (i.e. hour change had been successful but the minutes had remained unchanged).

When I checked the page I got the below setting but the last sync time was in December. Hit Sync now and it corrected. But.....why didn't it do it automatically? Is there another setting I need?

Win 10 laptop in the same location is up to the second.

1679902657582.png

It should do it automatically.

If it isn't, check the state of the time service by right clicking your start button, clicking on "Run", then type "services.msc" and hit enter. Find "Windows Time" in that list and ensure it's set to automatic.

It's also worth running SFC. Again, right click on your start button and and click on "Windows Terminal (admin)". At the command prompt, type SFC /scannow and leave it to do it's thing, it should only take 5mins or so. SFC stands for System File Checker, and is supposed to fix any issues with core files and services in windows. It's rare that it fixes any serious issues, but for things like this it usually sorts them out.

I guess it will be a while before we know if that works, but if it doesn't, the next step would be to sync to a different server - cross that bridge if it comes to it though.

It should do it automatically.

If it isn't, check the state of the time service by right clicking your start button, clicking on "Run", then type "services.msc" and hit enter. Find "Windows Time" in that list and ensure it's set to automatic.

It's also worth running SFC. Again, right click on your start button and and click on "Windows Terminal (admin)". At the command prompt, type SFC /scannow and leave it to do it's thing, it should only take 5mins or so. SFC stands for System File Checker, and is supposed to fix any issues with core files and services in windows. It's rare that it fixes any serious issues, but for things like this it usually sorts them out.

I guess it will be a while before we know if that works, but if it doesn't, the next step would be to sync to a different server - cross that bridge if it comes to it though.

Oooo good call

1679903897932.png

I've swapped it to automatic. Thanks.

FWIW.
On a 7 year old Windows 10 machine I have just replaced the BIOS battery because the time had random false time zone resets.
It can cause other odd time related results.
The batteries normally last 6 to 10 years. (CR 2032)

This was new to me despite using and looking after PCs since about 1994. Ran it on all 3 I use regularly and it found things to fix on 2/3 ironically the errant Window 7 box came back without any errors ;)
Still thanks for the lesson!

This was new to me despite using and looking after PCs since about 1994. Ran it on all 3 I use regularly and it found things to fix on 2/3 ironically the errant Window 7 box came back without any errors ;)
Still thanks for the lesson!

You can also use DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth for a slightly more comprehensive repair. I think that's only windows 10 and above though.

You can also use DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth for a slightly more comprehensive repair. I think that's only windows 10 and above though.
Very useful thanks!

Back