Windows 7 and networking

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
Yes
Today I read a positive review of Windows 7 apart from the part about networking. The reviewer implied that pc's with vista and xp wont recognise a windows 7 network. Here is the link of the review.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/software/2250854/microsoft-windows

The networking info is on page 2 of the review.

If this is the case then this is an own goal by microsoft, as a family with 2 or 3 pc's will have to upgrade them all with Windows 7 for the network to operate.

Twoddle - I just went to my XP desktop and checked I could see my Windows 7 laptop from it, and yep, can view files in W7 shared folder and open them on XP machine, and vice versa.

edit: Just read what they say and Homegroups probably doesn't work, but you dont actually need it, I haven't set it up but can still share files in the old fashioned way when all computers have same workgroup name. ;)

HTH

Its the same old same old............. xp didnt run properly untill all the updated drivers were...updated and vista was the same but this really stems back to the early 80s when windows was released.........a pc running on the amiga software wouldnt upgrade to windows, you needed an IBM compatible pc and so was born the PC then along came 3.1 and workgroups.
A big leap forward as far as OS go but then came 98 which gave us the real power to do things we only dreamed of like change from IE to netscape and so on and so on now we have vista and 7 looming...........vista if configured correctly is a fantastic OS and much better than XP but lets wait and see if 7 can do it out of the box.........I doubt it there will be update after update just like vista untill MS have your PC as they want it

Homegroups is another MS lame attempt at making making networking easier.
I've the beta of Win 7 running on a laptop for months, no issues with my workgroup and seeing the other XP and Vitsa PCs on the network.
I just wish MS wouldn't turn on EUA as default. it is so annoying.

A big leap forward as far as OS go but then came 98 which gave us the real power. but lets wait and see if 7 can do it out of the box.........I doubt it there will be update after update just like vista untill MS have your PC as they want it

If I remember correctly, 98 like 95 didn't have TCP/IP installed as default - lame.
You'd be surprised about Win 7 and updates, there have been a few and these will apply to the OEM and retail copies as well.
Win 7 is much faster than Vista, it doesn't hog memory anywhere near as much.
With each new version of windows, the driver database has improved because of the amount of new hardware on the market and Win 7's driver database is impressive.
Many Vista drivers work fine with Win 7 which is nice and saves us from hardware companies dragging there heels with new drivers.
Obviously there will be some new drivers required for some hardware.

I had far fewer issues with W7rc than with all of Vista. It just umm... works :)

-Rob

ps just went and checked the 'visibility' of W7 both ways from a variety of machines and OSes - no problems at all here.

-Rob

Only a week or so now till the 'offer' copies start falling on doormats.

Normal networking works fine between the different OS's so you can do everything you did before. Homegroups - the new MS effort to make file and printer sharing easier is specific to W7. Personally, I like homegroups - I seem to spend so much of my free time fixing up friends home networks to do this that so anything that simplifies it for no techy people is a good thing in my view.

Only a week or so now till the 'offer' copies start falling on doormats.

Hi,
What are these 'offer' copies? :thinking:

Will these be coming to existing (and properly registered) Vista users?

One thing Vista and onwards don't do and that is read DOS whereas XP does. One reason I havn't upgraded because my business has about the best program in DOS one can get.

Realspeed

If I remember correctly, 98 like 95 didn't have TCP/IP installed as default - lame.
You'd be surprised about Win 7 and updates, there have been a few and these will apply to the OEM and retail copies as well.
Win 7 is much faster than Vista, it doesn't hog memory anywhere near as much.
With each new version of windows, the driver database has improved because of the amount of new hardware on the market and Win 7's driver database is impressive.
Many Vista drivers work fine with Win 7 which is nice and saves us from hardware companies dragging there heels with new drivers.
Obviously there will be some new drivers required for some hardware.

Is it correct that Win7 is being shipped without a web browser, dont know if that was just a rumour?

Thanks Paul, I was thinking it was a rumour(y)

I believe as usual, the EU tried to stop MS from supplying I.E with Win 7 but they failed, MS lost against Outlook Express.

as said its only the W7 specific homegroup that youll have problems with on other OS.

however my work machine is W7 Ult RTM and it works perfectly with domains, workgroups yadda yadda yadda.

im thinking of asking the mods to change the bit under my name to "windows 7 fanboy" i love it so much.

You can ask for a user title change all you like but it will never happen :)

I'm using a Win 7 RTM version thanks to a family contact. Only had one major hassle so far and that was with emails. Windows 7 does not come with any email program. There is one that is part of windows live that you can download... which I did at first. Windows easy transfer brought across all my data and a lot of settings but there was no way to recover old emails for winows mail on Vista into live mail on 7. Removing live mail and installing Outlook there was no way to import to that either.
Had to go back to my Vista drive and install Outlook there so I could migrate windows mail to it... then export to a pst file. Then plug the win 7 drive drive back in and import the pst into Outlook!

Some of it may be down to the new drive being faster and it being a fresh install but it is definitely much snappier than Vista was.

Once I finish installing programs I intend to try out the disk image backup that is built in somewhere to make a recovery image.

Like it so far :)

Back