Windows Media Player

Rocket

CTID
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All.
I have two computers running, one with windows 10 the other windows 7.
My windows media player on wins 7 will not play any files, such as mp4s etc, it did a days ago, but now nothing.
I have used the web links and tried to un-tick and re-tick the boxes in windows media player via the control box, but still not working. i know windows have no updates for win 7, but it should work all the same i would have thought.
Any guidance please.

Is it set as the default player in 'Default Apps'?
Is the file type set to WMP in File type?
That's all I can offer.

Can you open Media Player? If you can, what exactly happens when you try to play a file from within the player? Is there an error message? What happens if you just double-click the file itself, or drag it to the player?

Is it set as the default player in 'Default Apps'?
Is the file type set to WMP in File type?
That's all I can offer.

Will check that out.
Can you open Media Player? If you can, what exactly happens when you try to play a file from within the player? Is there an error message? What happens if you just double-click the file itself, or drag it to the player?
Yes it opens up, just won't play the file. As below.
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Toni. Not really, but as its so easy to use (Normally). Was hoping to use it again.
Will check out your suggestion. Stay safe.

that looks like WMP is corrupt or having an issue with itself
try removing and reinstalling from programs and features

Windows Media Player is a pain for playing different format video files. With all sorts of codecs required to get the basics to work I would recommend just using VLC player instead. Much more reliable, just as easy to use imo and it’s free

Last edited:
Thanks Paul.
Thanks for the reply.
If i remove, how can i reinstall ? as i understand windows have no updates for win 7. I have the media player on my laptop in win 7 would i be able to drag it off there, any suggestions please.

that looks like WMP is corrupt or having an issue with itself
try removing and reinstalling from programs and features

Last edited:
Thanks Gill, I was hoping to use WMP as up until now it has been no problem, however if it does persist then i will possible use VLC

Windows Media Player is a pain for playing different format video files. With all sorts of codecs required to get the basics to work I would recommend just using VLC player instead. Much more reliable, just as easy to use imo and it’s free

VLC is great, I use it a lot. It's also good for forcing aspect ratios. One caveat I've found is that with my dashcam footage it can struggle to play back audio. Nobody seems to be able to get to the bottom of it. Plays fine in other players though.

Media Player Classic HC (mpc-hc) is another good one.

Hi all. Thanks for the replies, I have opted for VLC as a temp solution until i reboot this PC to Wins10. It appears to work very well and gets me through for viewing..

Back