Wine

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Just had this email:
Hello David

When looking for some inspiration for our new wines labels we have come across your delightful photograph of Kimmeridge Bay at night taken in September this year.

We are enquiring if you would grant permission fpr us to use the photograph on our 2005 vintage of Pinot Noir that we retail from our vineyard here in Purbeck. The name of the wine is Kimmeridge Moon. We would of course acknowledge you as the photographer on the back label.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanking you in anticipation

Of course, whilst I'm very pleased about this, this is the first time anyone's wanted to use a snap of mine in a commercial environment. One issue, is that the photo they are interested in has just been sent to Alamy to add to my "stock". I guess one way to respond is to say thanks, very flattered but I'm "represented" by Alamy - please contact them etc etc. My first reaction is aye, no probs, the acknowledgement only is enough. What do you reckon?

Cheers

Sounds to me like you will need at least 6 cases to test if the product will be good for your reputation :)

Now I was thinking along those lines...

Just spoke to Alamy and they said in essence, just find out what their intentions are i.e. is it just for the label or will it be for other promotional material too. I've looked at the webby for the vineyard and they've only just started. Alamy suggested that I could agree a private sale and also took my point that if I let them use the image for free, it'll be a great bit of "PR" [plus the goodwill booze perhaps!]. This is a fairly serious hobby but it's not a source of income at all.

This is the photo:

Mmmm free booze.

Know what I'd go for :)

Congratulations.
BTW, its a GREAT picture (y)

its a nice piccy...tough one for sure, you could use it to your advantage, let them use if for free with a blimmin big Copyright credit on it, or try for a one off payment or get them to have your website address on it...or even offer them a print and have it as a prize in some kind of promotion that sees your name all over it...

First thing I noticed was the mis spelling of for, but nevermind :p

Cracking shot as usual David, congrats :D

Charge them a reasonable amount. It's a company at the end of the day and they are out to make money.

If you go pro and are struggling to make ends meet, then see posts like this, bet your blood would boil.

Giving images away is killing the Pro Photography arena, making it harder to exist!

My 0.02p!
Carl.

Even if you do let them use the image for free (under licence maybe with you retaining the copyright) do get a proper contract explaining how and where they may use it, and confirming your credit on the rear label also. Otherwise you may find yourself with no credit, and no comeback.

Cracker of a shot - good work!

That's a great pic. Hic! :nuts:

Back